Help With DC Offset - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2004, 06:55 AM   #1
Sybex23 is offline Sybex23  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Jacksonville, Illinois
Default Help With DC Offset

I have just completed the LM4780 kit from BrianGT. It works well, and sound great, but I am measuring about 108mV of DC at the output. The LM1875 I previously built had only 10mV. Is there a preferred way to adjust this down with this kit?

Thanks,
Sybex23
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2004, 09:23 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Brazil
Default Re: Help With DC Offset

Quote:
Originally posted by Sybex23
I have just completed the LM4780 kit from BrianGT. It works well, and sound great, but I am measuring about 108mV of DC at the output. The LM1875 I previously built had only 10mV. Is there a preferred way to adjust this down with this kit?

Either you add blocking capacitors on the feedback to ground or you add a DC servo.


Carlos
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2004, 03:14 PM   #3
Sybex23 is offline Sybex23  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Jacksonville, Illinois
Are the feedback caps the 47uF caps national shows on the typical app circuit? They indicate they are used to ensure unity gain at dc which sounds right. Also, could you tailor frequency response here because of the RC filter that is formed with the resistor?
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2004, 04:18 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Brazil
Quote:
Originally posted by Sybex23
Are the feedback caps the 47uF caps national shows on the typical app circuit? They indicate they are used to ensure unity gain at dc which sounds right. Also, could you tailor frequency response here because of the RC filter that is formed with the resistor?
Yes to first and yes to second.

My advice is to wire two 100uF in series, + terminals as new ends, instead of a polarized one.

You can certainly tailor the frequency, along with the input cap, to do a high pass.


Carlos
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2004, 05:12 PM   #5
Sheldon is offline Sheldon  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego
If you don't want a cap in the output and don't want to go the full servo route, you can try this. Easy to implement.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...317#post449317

Sheldon
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2004, 06:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
jackinnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Llanddewi Brefi, NJ
the input bias current is ~1uA -- some of the input resistor values are "nominal" and may need to be changed to reduce the DC offset (AN1192 refers to this.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2004, 06:45 PM   #7
Sybex23 is offline Sybex23  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Jacksonville, Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by carlmart


My advice is to wire two 100uF in series, + terminals as new ends, instead of a polarized one.


Carlos

I am not sure I follow you here. 2 100uF in series would be 50uF total? and are you saying to connect the negative ends together and let the positive ends be the connection points? Since this is a parallel circuit I will have to do this twice, once for each side or can I parallel both feedback resistors into the same set of caps? So, if I understand right, I would disconnect the 1k feedback resistor from ground and connect it to the first leg of the cap, and then connect the other end of the cap to ground. Am I on track here at all?

Thanks,
Sybex23
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2004, 06:52 PM   #8
maxw is offline maxw  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
maxw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
I had a problem with DC-offset on my LM3875 amp. I am not familiar with the LM4780 schematic and whether it has the Ci cap or not but I added this cap to my amp and DC-offset turned to 0mv.

Details here if it helps any:
DC offset problem
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2004, 07:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Brazil
Quote:
Originally posted by Sybex23


2 100uF in series would be 50uF total? and are you saying to connect the negative ends together and let the positive ends be the connection points? Since this is a parallel circuit I will have to do this twice, once for each side or can I parallel both feedback resistors into the same set of caps? So, if I understand right, I would disconnect the 1k feedback resistor from ground and connect it to the first leg of the cap, and then connect the other end of the cap to ground. Am I on track here at all?

Yes, 50uF as final result for cap series. What you end up, by joining the - ends is a non-polar cap, which may probably sound better than a polarized one. But don't take my word for that: first disconnect the 1K resistor from ground and add the 47uF cap as specified on datasheet. That should cut the offset.

Then, if you want to, do the cap replacement for the non-polar combo and listen for any improvements.


Quote:
Originally posted by maxw
I had a problem with DC-offset on my LM3875 amp. I am not familiar with the LM4780 schematic and whether it has the Ci cap or not but I added this cap to my amp and DC-offset turned to 0mv.

Yes, it's the same problem and the same solution.

The matter now is that this cap may have some effect on how the amp sounds. Besides using no cap, the next best thing would be to use a film cap, which would be quite difficult because of cap size.

If this amp is just for bass, then it would be fine using good quality 'lytic cap. But if it is for mid/treble amping it might be better to replace that cap with a film type, probably 100n or 47n, according to your high-pass filter.

As you see, it wouldn't be so difficult to do an active system using the feedback to build your filter.

The bipolar mod, for input and feedback caps, was suggested some time on article on caps in "Electronic World & Wireles World".


Carlos
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is DC offset? spooney Car Audio 16 9th September 2013 12:32 AM
DC Offset JannaCassandra Chip Amps 3 26th July 2008 03:20 PM
2,5v dc offset!! nicoch58 Class D 2 4th March 2007 11:02 PM
GC offset jan.didden Chip Amps 4 3rd July 2004 08:10 AM
GC very low DC offset matjans Chip Amps 7 22nd September 2003 10:24 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:55 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2