nub question about output caps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2004, 03:59 PM   #1
MEXXX is offline MEXXX  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to MEXXX Send a message via MSN to MEXXX Send a message via Yahoo to MEXXX
Default nub question about output caps

I have little experience with electronics so my question is probably gonna sound newbish.

I have a couple small chip amps out of PC speakers and they all have 16v 1000uf caps on the speaker outputs. If I take them out of the signal path the amp seems to draw max current even with little or no input signal. It draws so much current in fact that it melted the wall wart it was running off off.

I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that the amp sees a load at all times instead of being frequency dependent with the caps in line.
Old 9th November 2004, 06:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: nub question about output caps

Quote:
Originally posted by MEXXX
I have little experience with electronics so my question is probably gonna sound newbish.

I have a couple small chip amps out of PC speakers and they all have 16v 1000uf caps on the speaker outputs. If I take them out of the signal path the amp seems to draw max current even with little or no input signal. It draws so much current in fact that it melted the wall wart it was running off off.

I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that the amp sees a load at all times instead of being frequency dependent with the caps in line.

Output caps on power amps is usually due to using single power supplies. You shouldn't take them out or you can blow your speakers, as the caps are there to block DC which can fry your speakers.

Carlos
Old 10th November 2004, 12:41 AM   #3
MEXXX is offline MEXXX  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to MEXXX Send a message via MSN to MEXXX Send a message via Yahoo to MEXXX
Thanks Carlos, I figured that they were there to block DC, but I thought it was for the safety of the amp not the speakers.

The caps are 1000uf which starts to roll of the response around 40hz on a 4 ohm skeaker (i think). Can I put some better quality 25v 2000uf caps in their place, and would it be better if I used NP caps instead of regular ones?

TIA,

MEXXX
Old 10th November 2004, 01:46 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

PC speakers with single supplies are usually cheap 2 speaker sets, with only a couple of watts output power (if you are lucky).

The speakers in them have almost no ability to reproduce sound below 40hz (I dont even think they can get that deep).

Hide this!Advertise here!