OPA627 as a Filter/Buffer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am using some OPA627s as active filter in my GC design, so I was wondering whether I need to add another stage after them for the buffer or implement the filter/buffer all in one.

Also is it better to leave it as it is or bias it into Class A?

What are the benefits of Class A biasing?

I read all of it and now...

Hi,

maybe Carlosfm can answer this if he reads the post.

Let's say I design the pre-am the way he described it his thread.

Then I feed the signal to a IGC (LM3886).

Can I integrate the HPF into the pre-am? i.e. add components to the OPA627 that will filter the signal as well as act as the buffer?!

Or, do I need extra OPA672s in the signal path from the source to filter the signals -> pre-am -> power amp???

That's my confusion!

Hi-

Actually I'm looking at the BB white paper on the OPA627 and the examples they have for circuits.

Am I missing something or is there only one device involved when using the 627 as a buffer?

Please see attached picture from the BB whitepaper:

http://www.ociw.edu/instrumentation/ccd/parts/OPA627.pdf

Attachments

• 627.jpg
    627.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 501
OPA627+BUF634

If you read "COMBINING AN AMPLIFIER WITH THE BUF634" an application note from Burr-Brown, you will see that that the reason for adding the BUF634 to the OPA627 is to improve output current characteristics.

The OPA627 on its own as most op-amps doesnt have excess output current, in fact it is only about 45mA. By adding the BUF634 the current output can be increased upto 500mA, so almost a tenfold.

The benefit of this (from my understanding) is that this allows you to drive a power amp regardless of the distance between the pre & power amps without any signal loss!

The idea is that this buffer can be used as a Headphone Amplifier as well.

What sort of power-amp needs more than 45mA to drive it?!

Unless there is a possibility of needing to drive a particularly low impedance load, then adding a buffer after an op-amp filter is not required. OPA627 is a fine op-amp, capable of driving most normal loads, such as chip-amps.

However, you may need to put a buffer before the filter, if the preceeding device (whatever it may be) might have trouble with the reactive input impedance of the filter.

Ideally, this combination is mainly intended as a headphone amp.

However, carlosfm has used it for making his pre-amp and he reports a very good performance.

So, all I can say is try it without BUF634 then try it with BUF634, see which configuration sound better.

That's all.

I think this thread has sidetracked a bit as my main concern was whether I can add extra components to the buffer design to implement a filter/buffer with one op-amp.

And it's still not answered...:bawling:

Well, the point of a buffer is to isolate the source from the load. Usually this means presenting a high input impedance and an adequate current output capability. An op-amp based filter will satisfy the second, but as I mentioned before, it doesn't quite satisfy the first since the input impedance will be reactive (for most normal filter topologies). Whether this means you need a buffer in front of the filter or not depends on what the preceeding stage is capable of.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.