pots Vs sliders??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2004, 01:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to psychosteve
Default pots Vs sliders???

ok, on the input of lm3886, i can use a 50k pot, BUT..... ive got about 20 off 100k stereo sliders, is it ok to parallel the two sides together to get 50k??? and will it make more noise or less noise on the input than a single slider/pot.

ps, dont know if anyone saw, but Maplins in england are clearing out ceremet pots cheap. cant remember the values but it may be worth a look.

cheers guys, steve.. ..
Old 4th November 2004, 02:27 PM   #2
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Stick to the pot!

And if you want to get serious about sound quality, knock up a stepped attenuator!
Old 5th November 2004, 12:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

cheers bud, im not too woried about sound quality, i just didnt want to spend 5 on a decent pot, if the slider would do the same job. bearing in mind these are panasonic pro. disco faders and quite good quality, i just wondered if any one had tried paralleling sliders before and what the sound was like? cheers for the help Nuuk, steve.. ..
Old 5th November 2004, 01:00 PM   #4
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
im not too woried about sound quality
Wash your mouth out (and ears too?) with switch contact cleaner!
Old 5th November 2004, 01:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Every recording before the digital mixing console era has passed a few dozens of (high Q) sliders, although many of them were just there to control the voltage to a VCA. So go figure whether a single slider at the end of the audio chain will be detrimental for the sound.

As to the noise question, are you referring to the thermal noise of the slider or the artefacts introduced by mechanical movement of a poor quality slider?

/Magnus
Old 5th November 2004, 01:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The problem with slider pots is that except for serious ones, like Penny & Giles and Alps, most are rather bad. A pair of the good ones will cost you more than a good rotary type. Less than a switch + resistors though, if you go for 24 steps Elma or Shallcraft.

The adjustment is also critical, as only the long sliders will allow for some proper level adjustment.

They are also difficult to install, as you will need a very clean cut on the front plate, with nothing to hide it like a knob.

The only advantage is, if you use single ones, that you won't need a balance control when you set levels. You can move them both at the same time if you put them close to each other.

Carlos
Old 5th November 2004, 01:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Every recording before the digital mixing console era has passed a few dozens of (high Q) sliders, although many of them were just there to control the voltage to a VCA. So go figure whether a single slider at the end of the audio chain will be detrimental for the sound.
You stole my line

Lots of sliders, and also dozens of NE5332 and other 'bad' opamps
Old 5th November 2004, 02:35 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

ok to clarify a little,
the amp is lm3886 for powering 70 watt panasonic speakers directly crossed with motorola pietzo tweeters, to make 6 powered P.A. speakers.

im not woried about cut outs as itll all be mounted behind a cover in the back of each speaker. the sliders are only there for setting up, so i can adjust the volume of each speaker to compensate for room size and shape, while having a master volume at line level, prior to the amps, so wont be moved once its all set up.

cheers for the help guys, steve.. ..
Old 5th November 2004, 04:14 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by psychosteve
ok to clarify a little,
the amp is lm3886 for powering 70 watt panasonic speakers directly crossed with motorola pietzo tweeters, to make 6 powered P.A. speakers.

im not woried about cut outs as itll all be mounted behind a cover in the back of each speaker. the sliders are only there for setting up, so i can adjust the volume of each speaker to compensate for room size and shape, while having a master volume at line level, prior to the amps, so wont be moved once its all set up.

Then go for it. From what you describe sound will really be PA quality, which should be rather low-fi.

Carlos
Old 6th November 2004, 10:26 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

cheers guys, see you soon, steve.. ..

Hide this!Advertise here!