Got some parts with my NIGC kit that I don't know what to do with

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You didn't say if it was the LM3875 or LM4780 GC kit. However, Nuuk is right: they are the Zobel network.

2.7ÙJ 2W = 2.7ohm 2W resistor
100n CR 63v BC 0423416 = .1uF cap

There is a spot on the 3875 boards for the Zobel, not sure about the 4780. As an alternative, you can connect the parts in series across the speaker terminals for the same result. Peter and Brian have both suggested to only use the Zoebel if required, and there are many happy GC owners who do not use it. Unless your speakers cables are exceedingly long, or exceptional capacitive, I suggest you leave the Zobel off or at least listen both ways.

Order of R/C for zebol- RC or CR ??

About the order of R C for zebol. I am curious. Typically I connect the zebol R (1 ohm) to the speaker out (signal) and the Cap ( 0.22 or 0.1 UF) connect to the speaker ground.

I found some GC board connect the R C reversely (i.e. the zebol R connect to the speaker ground instead). Any difference between both approarch?

Re: Order of R/C for zebol- RC or CR ??

metha said:
About the order of R C for zebol. I am curious. Typically I connect the zebol R (1 ohm) to the speaker out (signal) and the Cap ( 0.22 or 0.1 UF) connect to the speaker ground.

I found some GC board connect the R C reversely (i.e. the zebol R connect to the speaker ground instead). Any difference between both approarch?

Nope. The output is AC, so no polarity concerns.

Sheldon

Sheldon said:
The normal recommendation is to place it on the board, or near it. That short circuits any high frequency resonances closest to where they would be generated.

Sheldon

Actually, it's nothing to do with shunting resonances. You place it close to the board because the further away you place it the higher the inductance of the connection, which limits the zobels usefulness (as it is trying to compensate for the phase angle caused by inductive loads).

Originally posted by Evan Schultz
Unless your speakers cables are exceedingly long, or exceptional capacitive, I suggest you leave the Zobel off or at least listen both ways.

Not quite. If your speakers or leads present a highly capacitive load, you should add an output series inductor. The zobel is for inductive loads.

Hi,

I noticed this thread and headed down the shop to to add a zobel to my Gainclone to see what the fuss was about. I feel that there's been an improvement in sound, particularly there was a little level difference between LR that seems to have gone - but most noticeably the top end seems less forced and less forward, perhaps less bright? It is hard to put a Zobel on and off with a switch so I can't discount a possible placebo effect, however I do feel it has compensated to the audio quality in some small improvement.

Worth a try.

Cheers
Rod

richie00boy said:

Actually, it's nothing to do with shunting resonances. You place it close to the board because the further away you place it the higher the inductance of the connection, which limits the zobels usefulness (as it is trying to compensate for the phase angle caused by inductive loads).

Quite right. I guess the term "oscillation" would have been better too. Just curious; as the issue is the phase angle of the feedback eventually going positive, it follows that a zobel would not be needed on an amp with no global feedback?

Sheldon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.