Lower cost transformer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please pardon my noobieness for asking this...

I am building my first amp, but it must be on a budget. I need something around 24VAC@7A and I am having a hard time finding a transformer for less than $80-$100us. Can anyone recomend something cheaper?

I am wide open on design... dual secondaries, single centaped, EI, touroid, etc. I just need to find one that will supply enough power to run a 60ish Watt stereo.

I have done a search that returned hundreds of results but many threads are very, very, looooong and wander off topic a bit. Any help would be much apreciatedIs that a word?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
BOY DO I HAVE A DEAL FOR YOU !

I have a perfect transformer for you. Priced Right...
Signal EI core 220V input 48 Volt Center Tap and a
24 Volt Center tap at 7 Amps.. USING 115 Volt Input
will give you your 24 Volt Center Tap and also a
12 Volt Center Tap at the 7 Amps you need..
PRICE ON CLEARANCE at $ 7.95 ea have about 200
I do however have a $20.00 minimum order...
check my website www.apexjr.com for other items
Steve @ Apex Jr.

Nuuk said:
But in the UK, which is usually more expensive than the USA, we can get a 160 VA transformer for around 32 USD!

The last trafo I (custom) ordered was a 2x22V 528VA (12A:eek: ) dual secondaries toroid.
Cost was around 60 Euros, including transport by post office.

Lately I've been salvaging trafos.
Recycling is good for the environment.:D

Amateur Radio swap meets can be great sources of parts. I picked up some new-in-box Hammond transformers, and a broadcast grade audio transformer. for a couple of bucks each.

If you arrive towards the end of the day, hang around the garbage cans because a lot of guys will dump stuff rather than cart it home.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'll catch up before I go on vacation...
The transformer is set up as a 220 V input and will
deliver 48 Vct and a 24Vct at 7 Amps........
Using 115 Volt as an input you will get 24 Vct
12V - 0 - 12 V and a 12 Vct 6V - 0 - 6V also at 7 amps
as secondarys...Oh.. I should let you know they
weigh 10 lbs each ....... Steve @ Apex Jr.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.