lm1875 compared to LM3875?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

After building several gainclones, I only did critical listening to them today. Here is what I found;

LM1875 has has a medium width soundstage, and a more forward sound. Most of the instruments can be pinpointed to an exact spot. Imaging wise I would say it is more accurate here.

LM3875 has very wide and deep soundstage, almost 3d-like. However, i feel it is too wide that makes it less precise. Somehow it places the singer behind the instruments and you couldnt point on an exact spot on where he is. 3875 has a sweeter treble, and 'airier' sound, and better controlled bass. It is more analytical, you can hear the echos, bad recordings, and many minute details well.

The difference between the 1875 and 3875 unit is the PS capacitance. For the 1875, I used 4700uF, while for the 3875 I used 2200uF. For the 1875, I also added 4.7uF BG input coupling caps.
Could the sonics influenced largely by the caps?

I enjoy the accurate soundstage of 1875, but I like the airier highs and detailed presentation of the 3875. 3875 is also more relaxed to listen to.

Anybody has compared between these two chips?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.