Searching insulator type for LM4780 chip

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We've been looking with Brian for convenient insulators to use with LM4780 chip package, but it seems like nothing ready made is available. Anybody got any experience with those?

So far it seems like getting bigger sheets from D-K and cutting them to size is the only reasonable way to go, but punching the holes might be a hassle.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 369
To make few insulator for personal needs is not a problem, but I was getting ready for the kits and none of the above is really appealing.

Upupa's suggestion requires punching of the precision holes in the insulator material, and this is something I would prefer to avoid, (maybe not me that much, as Brian ;))

Sheldon's suggestion, while still workable, will not look professional with the kits supply.

I used isolators for bigger chips (like STK).
I've cut one in half and it did for two 4780s.
But why bother?
I'm makin' another LM4780 amp and will just isolate the heatsink from the chassis.
This chip needs to be properly cooled down, it's two channels in a small package.:att'n:
If possible, don't use isolators.

TwoSpoons said:
Have you contacted someone like Berquist? They were most helpful when I requested samples of their materials, and they do precut shapes.

Nisbeth said:
How about asking National about this?

We did contact them, but receive no answer yet. All in all, if nothing else is found, we will be cutting the pieces. We just thought that could be avoided by finding proper type of insulators, but it doesn't seem like it's been made.

It would be an option to isolate heatsink, but neverthereless, I thin an insulator should be included with a 4780 kit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.