Yes, another proud as punch gainclone builder - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2004, 11:16 AM   #11
rnoble is offline rnoble  Australia
diyAudio Member

Okay I feel I must reply as you've all said such nice things!

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
It seems like you have a space there for 4 more channels, will try to send them to you ASAP.

Nicely done.
Yes there is room for much more!

I plan to add another 2 channels to it. At this stage I will bi-amp my mains for some more headroom but further down the track I'll build another identical 4 channel amp so I'll have 8 channels to power the Linkwitz Orions that I plan to build. All this coupled with a GK1 (Aksa) tube pre-amp and hopefully I'll have a classic DIY system!

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackDog
That's a nice tidy build, rnoble. -- I bet it runs nice and cool too!!

Where did you get your case & heatsinks from? That nice stuff is v. hard to find in NZ.

I have completed a 6 channel BrianGT clone, and am currently building a small 2 channel one for my workshop. Most of the bits come from Jaycar in NZ.

Steve
Much of the parts are from Jaycar too Steve - the guys know me very well down there nowadays hehehe. The case is a custom job from Aspen Amplifiers (of AKSA kit amps). They're located in Melbourne so I was able to discuss my needs with Hugh before I got it. This is where I fell in love with the GK1 tube pre-amp, my next project (in which I'll be building the case from scratch so I can closely match what I have already + some sexy tubes to show off). If you ever come over give us a yell and you can come and have a listen and do a Melbourne DIY tour

Quote:
Originally posted by tcoursen
Which model Yamaha receiver do you have? I just ordered one of Brian's kits to build a gainclone. Wondering how it will sound compared to the Yamaha.
Its an RXV630. Circa 2 years ago now. Nice amp but purely for HT purposes, I think it's still adding quite a high noise floor to the GC even as a pre-amp. But the sound is much improved. Much less brightness, more bottom end grab and better transients. The biggest thing is depth. I can hear the guitar and voice from my favourite live album moving forward and back from the microphone with much more detail now. When I first fired this album up I was shocked at how it brought out more 'liveness' of the live recording over the Yamaha.

Quote:
Originally posted by rabstg
Hi digi01-

Constructive criticism: Why don't you cut two thirds off of the grd lead and spin it around on the grounding bolt to face the pwr input connector.
Good point digi01, dunno how that one slipped passed. I guess I'm just so used to working on it. I'll be fixing/tidying all the wiring when I get the rest of the channels. The longer lead behind the main switch is bugging me too.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk
Yes, yet another very good example of a GC - and yet another one from 'down under'! Is there a national GC building contest going on down there at the moment?
Maybe there's something in the air? Hey I think you are onto something here....
Old 20th October 2004, 09:06 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rnoble
The longer lead behind the main switch is bugging me too.
Hi Ron,

Good to see its finished.

It is often considered good practice to leave the earth wire longer than the active and neutral wires. To idea is, it should be the last wire to break in case of some disaster happening.
Old 20th October 2004, 09:26 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rnoble

Its an RXV630. Circa 2 years ago now. Nice amp but purely for HT purposes, I think it's still adding quite a high noise floor to the GC even as a pre-amp. But the sound is much improved. Much less brightness, more bottom end grab and better transients. The biggest thing is depth. I can hear the guitar and voice from my favourite live album moving forward and back from the microphone with much more detail now. When I first fired this album up I was shocked at how it brought out more 'liveness' of the live recording over the Yamaha.
Thanks for the info. I actually have a RXV640 which was the replacement for the one that you have. So it is nice to see an opinion that a GC may be some improvement.

Hide this!Advertise here!