How to break-in a new GC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
TheDriver41 said:
Play it loud? How long will it take to fully mature?

With mine I noticed the heat sinks got pretty warm (not really hot) during the first few hours of playing, even at moderate levels. After about 6 or 8 hours of operation the heat sinks were barely warm and never again approached the temps of those first few hours.

I think the sound mellowed a bit over that same time period but I couldn't swear to it. Overall the "break-in" period was much shorter and less noticeable than for say a new tube amp which might take 40-80 hours (or more).

I have only built two GC's, but I would agree that the initial operation is warm to hot. But only briefly... That being said, I think they may be nearly impossible to "burn up" by loud playing as they have the SPIKE thing built in. Please understand that is an opinion, but a review of the forum will reveal very few problems associated with cooking the packages. I drive my GC's real hard. I think they are amazing devices, perfectly suitable to electronic dolts like me.

I understand that. It's just my opinion that "how" it "burns in" has little bearing on the overall result. Few will argue that the sound in the first 15 minutes is like the sound after 40 hours. My mastery of this subject is based on a sample size of n=2.

For a full discussion of "burn in", stop by the Audio Asylum site. Keep your head down and avoid any scientific method/A-B testing.

TheDriver41 said:
I'm not asking about burning up the GC, but the time it takes for the sound to mature to it best.

That depends on the components you use and there's not a definitive formula, anyone is going give you a definitive answer to your question.
When I make a new amp I let it play for some days, usually a week, connected to a tuner and a pair of test speakers.
Sometimes, after a couple of days, I take it back from the bench and connect it on my main system (always the ultimate test), let it :hot:-in for some more days, and listen to some music as I always do.
If I feel the need to grab a magazine and read after 5 minutes the amp ist not good.:D
If I sit and listen and can't stop listening, the amp is fine.:cool:

That depends on the components you use and there's not a definitive formula, anyone is going give you a definitive answer to your question.

That's a good point Carlos. Black gate caps take much longer to burn in and sound their best than other makes. :hot:

And I am another GC builder who has found some of them play a lot warmer for the first few hours and then go cooler for some reason that I don't think we have yet found a logical answer for.

metalman said:
I'm surprised no has suggested this yet, but I drive each amplifier channel into a 25W 10ohm resistors so that I don't have to leave speakers playing during the break-in period. Keeps the wife happier!

I like to listen while it :hot:s, you know?
At night I leave it at low volume.
But of course, resistors is an option.
Unless you are simultaneously :hot:in'-in a new pair of cables or speakers too.:cool:

Another option could be to wire one speaker the "other way around" and make the phase different than the other one. Then put the two speakers front to front to eachother with barely some space in between. Because they work in different phase they make a lot less noise and no music, but at least they are making the amp work. To kill the remaining noise you can put a blanket over them (but some boomy bass in the box is still there) - this works particularly great to burn in new speakers. My experience is that a fresh amp need about 100 hours to get there and I don't switch them off in between or after that.

However I am also using the 100 watt resistors trick - they are not expensive and are a lot more practical.

Enjoy, Richard.

I think burning in is more of the issue with the caps ure using.
Some caps can get ages to burn in. I think the more accurate term for burn-in is 'stabilizing'.

I have tried using kenwood audio caps (I think made by elna)
After 3 months, I compared it with a new amp, built to exact specs. The result was a boomier bass, unlike when new.

I am also in a process of burning-in new MKV oil caps. Allready 100hrs but not much improvements. Those caps were said to be good...

For me, I think the chips alone takes a couple of hours to 'stabilize'.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I suggest you check out Jim Hagerman's FryKleaner II as a very effective means of burning in components (see his products at hagtech.com). I purchased the earlier incarnation of the FyKleaner and have been astounded by its performance -- it does an exceptional job and is very reasonably priced.

I wrote a review of the FryKleaner and posted it on audioasylum last year: http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=cables&n=83286&review=1

Regards,
Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.