Proud owner of a new GC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I finished my first Gainclone last night using Brian GT's series 1 boards. I like what I hear. I'll post pictures in a few days. I don't recall reading about this anywhere but, how much length of wire can we have between RCA's to amp's input and, amp's output to binding posts. I have about six inches of silver wire to travel through. I can't see this being a problem considering that the signal travels 2 feet from the source and then 6 feet to the speakers. I hope somebody understands what I'm asking. Also, I'll have to build some speakers for this beast. I have a great set of monitors that I use with a sub, but I want something that's dynamic, accurate and hits low. The most important thing to me is that it must be musical!! I like to feel the bass a little. I might like a floor stander, eigther full range or 2 way. I need to fit a budget of <$200.00 US.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
amisdad said:
I finished my first Gainclone last night using Brian GT's series 1 boards. I like what I hear. I'll post pictures in a few days. I don't recall reading about this anywhere but, how much length of wire can we have between RCA's to amp's input and, amp's output to binding posts. I have about six inches of silver wire to travel through. I can't see this being a problem considering that the signal travels 2 feet from the source and then 6 feet to the speakers. I hope somebody understands what I'm asking. Also, I'll have to build some speakers for this beast. I have a great set of monitors that I use with a sub, but I want something that's dynamic, accurate and hits low. The most important thing to me is that it must be musical!! I like to feel the bass a little. I might like a floor stander, eigther full range or 2 way. I need to fit a budget of <$200.00 US.

Congratulations for finishing your amp. Send me some pictures, and I will add them to my gallery. As for the wire lengths between the amp and connectors, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

--
Brian

amisdad said:
... I don't recall reading about this anywhere but, how much length of wire can we have between RCA's to amp's input and, amp's output to binding posts. I have about six inches of silver wire to travel through. ...

I think the length of those wires is much less important than routing and shielding, particularly for the very low signal input wires.

For the wires from the RCAs to input I would use shielded wire if possible and try to route those wires away from any AC. The output wires are a little less important since they are carrying a much higher signal level and interference there is less likely.

Overall though the GC amps have pretty good power supply signal rejection so if you aren't hearing any hum then they way you have it is most likely fine.

Enjoy!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.