Has anyone compared GC amps(LM3875/3886/4780) with other DIY SS amps(Leach,ESP) ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone listened to a GC as well as other reputed SolidState amps like the Leach Amp and ESP(Rod Elliott) P3A and P101 ?
What were your impressions ?
I am not asking about numbers(specs) or which is better. I'd just like to know what your listening experiences were.
Thanks!

I would guess that many of us have built GC's after having owned discrete SS amps.

In my case, I ahd a pair of highly modified Arcam A60's that I spent three years improving. But the GC was clearly an improvement over what were very good discrete SS amplifiers.

I have not heard of many people building a GC and then going back to their previous amplification. ;)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
percy said:
Has anyone listened to a GC as well as other reputed SolidState amps like the Leach Amp and ESP(Rod Elliott) P3A and P101 ?
What were your impressions ?
I am not asking about numbers(specs) or which is better. I'd just like to know what your listening experiences were.
Thanks!

Hi percy,

This is a really loaded question because there are just so many different implementations of a Gainclone. I don't believe anyone can give you the definitive answer. :bawling:

For example, I've heard Joe Rasmussen's JTLi and in his system it sounds very very good :D, one of the best systems I have ever heard. On the other hand, my humble GCs, although well built, in my system don't come near that of Joe's JTLi but they do hold their heads up well compared to my P3A, SC480 and DIGI125 (in my system.) My reference amp is a standard AKSA 55 and it is still my favourite. ;)

If you haven't built a GC yet, I would highly recommend you do. Why not 3, once you start you just can't stop. I think you have to experience a GC in your own system, don't rely to heavily on others opinions.

BTW: I haven't tried buffered, filtered or regulated GCs so can't comment on them. From what I read they may? sound better and the JTLi is buffered and filtered.

Well, "GCs" are state of the art, a SET may not be "state of the art" and still sound better though, it's all up to preferance.

As for comparing them, well, the GC is better than some and worse than others. It all boils down to PREFERANCE. A gainclone is a good amp, it is. Some people love it, to others it's not their cup of tea. A gainclone is cheap, pick up some of BrianGT's boards and it'll be quick and easy to build as well, then YOU'LL know if you like it or not and how it compares to other amps you've heard.

I personally like gainclones, I listen to some, but I also listen to my single-ended Class-A MOSFET amps alot as well I like them both. I hope you do go ahead and try it for yourself, it's the only way you'll know.

Jeff Rowland and the model 12 Amplifier for +13000US have got really good reviews even compared to very expensive discrete amps like Krell and ML.

I have never heard theese amps so I cant say anything about it, but I would think that they are darn good.
They use LM3886T(12/channel) in those amps.

:D

Thanks for all your responses.
It seems that GC would stand up really well atleast to what I am comparing with. i.e the SS amps I mentioned above.
For the price, I don't expect GC to be anyway near the other $$$ amps that were mentioned above, although Lazyworm's post is quite positive about it.

Actually!
I have got close taken picture from inside the Model12 amp and know what components that are connected to each one of the
12LM3886.

I did start (with help from another friend on this forum) to do a schedule on it a few days ago and I think it will be ready to do a PCB from in another few days. I have changed a few components and redid the unbalanced/balanced step on it.

I think it will be a really nice sounding amp in around 200W 8ohm and 370W 4ohm, and it will be safe to drive down below 2ohm.

Including a 2*1000VA from germany and 20*15000uF caps
And the 24 pieces of LM3886 it will cost around 650US + alot of time to build.

Upupa Epops said:
GC's are amps for begginers, easy to build, with solid parametres and cheap.

A typical GC if for beginners, but even that is a very good sounding amp.
There are many variants though, and it's possible to make a very very very good sounding amp with LM chips.
It can sound exotic, expen$ive, frightening with all that detail.:D

Hi. I have built the Leach low tim and Brians GC.
My Leach amp is now sitting under my bed. It seems to be missing the lower octave. This seems to be a issue with the Leach. Maybe because I used MJL3281a and its compliment.
I dont know why?
The Gainclone sounded very good with out any adjusting and was very easy to build.
I do have a hum with the G.C. that comes and goes. I must try changing the grounding.
At this point I think the G.C. has a better balanced sound.
If any one has an idea of why the leach amp is missing some bass I would like to hear it. I used it for a while as a sub amp and it put out the power but on my 3 ways not the same as the G.C or my Sumo amp.
Thanks Steve.

percy
u are asking whats better a chip amp or a solid state amp in the chip amp forum :D , its like going to the ferrari forum and asking what is the best car :smash:

u should check it yourself and see what u like more .imho if everything is ok with the construction there should be no audible difference at all , but thats just me ;)
anyways check this one
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42694

How is that going to be any different than asking on the SS forum if the SS amp is better than the chip amp ? Although I was going to post there also to listen to that side of the arguments.
Anyway, thanks for the link. Looks like BobEllis did not use BrianGT's PCBs so the missing piece of information is that the pcb was indeed a good design(or otherwise) and free of things that can make a GC sound bad.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.