Internal pictures of the GainCard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been searching all over the internet for some internal pictures of the original GainCard Model 4706, I have not succeded. Does such pictures exist? Also what is the DC voltage provided by the 170VA toroid transformer, before reticifation?

In short I haven't succeded in finding much detailed info on the original GainCard at all, hope you can help me...

for the alleged gaincard interior shots, go here and scroll to the bottom, "Some Interesting Photos"
http://home.ca.inter.net/~cfraser/Gainbuilder.htm

rjm did a tidy colour drawing over here
http://www.geocities.com/rjm003.geo/rjmaudio/diy_gc.html

compare with the Shigaraki interior shots
http://www.hifi.nl/recensies.php?id=1966

there are not yet any pictures of the inside of the humpty. a gc builder has one, and hopes to supply photos later on when he is not enjoying it in his system.

a caution: the interior details, and the validity of these gaincard interior shots, have been discussed to death, and with some unfortunate animosity. so people are a little tired of discussing it. this should not be taken personally.

Do you really think the PCBs from a professional amplifier would be so ugly? They should at least be professionally made, not look homemade.

a caution: the interior details, and the validity of these gaincard interior shots, have been discussed to death, and with some unfortunate animosity. so people are a little tired of discussing it.

Surely ofb has said it all! ;)

the case is rather hard to open.

P-A,

If I made amplifiers of that build quality costing many, many $$$, I'd make the difficult to open too!

The link ofb posted showing the Shigaraki laid bare proves to me that the pictures of the Gaincard are genuine. The construction quality, component choice and PCB design are too similar to ignore.

Regards,
David.

The same is true for any ordinary chip amplifier. I can't see anything really special about the GainCard that gives it any particular advantage over a normal design (and given the apparent build quality I would say it is probably worse than most amatuer chip amps). I can see an awful lot of horrible market-speak and nothing else.

D.A.R.E. to stay on-topic ;)

incidently dezzz, the humpty does not use a toroid. the only description we have is of a cut-core. there was a side-thread of thought that it was an r-core, but cut-core seems to be a better match.

what i can't remember is if the secondary voltage is actually stated anywhere. possibly someone here will remember (not make up or hypothesize or give opinions on why it doesn't matter that you know) and save quite a bit of digging. maybe in another dozen posts or so.

Mr Evil said:
Anyway, why are so many people so enthusiastic about copying something that no one seems to have actually seen?

Plenty of people passed that mood already.
I speak for myself, I don't use the same topology, the same chip, the same PSU.
Actually, I don't call my power amp a GC, but a miniKrell.:yikes: :D
Bring on the Gaincard, it can't even move my speakers.:dead:

Re: D.A.R.E. to stay on-topic ;)

ofb said:
incidently dezzz, the humpty does not use a toroid. the only description we have is of a cut-core. there was a side-thread of thought that it was an r-core, but cut-core seems to be a better match....

I could be way off here, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Tx of the GainCard was a single toroidal, but not circular; rather, of oval section.

My memory is known to have been faulty before...:rolleyes:

falcott, i think we are remembering the same posts. the chap had opened his humpty and was trying to describe the odd shape of the core.

in the discussion he said it was not a toroid, but was a type unfamiliar to him that had a "donut" like core with square edges and looked almost solid, with very fine laminates. the donut business got people thinking of r-cores, but then a few people realized the cut-core fit the entire description.

you could of course have read a difference reference. there is no certainty that all humpties have used the same transformer.

hmm: i just did a little digging. back at the 47 labs site they have, "Powerful voltage regulation with high capacity transformer - 170 VA cut-core transformer +-individual coils"

(btw, are there oval torroids out there? i have seen very flat torroids, but no ovals yet.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.