Gain Adjustment Advice Requested for Brian's PCBs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

Now that I have reinstalled the resistors in the PCBs supplied by BrianGT, I find that there is an abundance of gain -- far too much, in fact. Before I start tearing out the R3 (680 ohm) resistors and replacing them with something else to lower the gain, can anyone suggest a good starting point? How much gain do I need when using 88db-efficient speakers, the AVEL 330V 25/25 transformer, a 20k impedence attenuator and a standard CD player as a source, all located in a moderately-sized (22' x 15' x 8') room? Right now, the volume is LOUD when the attenuator is at the lowest settings -- can anyone suggest a good starting value for the replacement R3s?

Also, is there a better way to reduce the gain, such as with a T-pad or L-pad?

Thanks to all for your advice!

Regards,
Scott

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
SRMcGee said:
Folks:

Now that I have reinstalled the resistors in the PCBs supplied by BrianGT, I find that there is an abundance of gain -- far too much, in fact. Before I start tearing out the R3 (680 ohm) resistors and replacing them with something else to lower the gain, can anyone suggest a good starting point? How much gain do I need when using 88db-efficient speakers, the AVEL 330V 25/25 transformer, a 20k impedence attenuator and a standard CD player as a source, all located in a moderately-sized (22' x 15' x 8') room? Right now, the volume is LOUD when the attenuator is at the lowest settings -- can anyone suggest a good starting value for the replacement R3s?

Also, is there a better way to reduce the gain, such as with a T-pad or L-pad?

Thanks to all for your advice!

Regards,
Scott

The gain is specified by 1+Rf/R3. You can choose a gain, and calculate the required R3 resistor.

As for a recommended starting value, you could try 1k to see how it works out for you.

I would also make sure your attenuator is setup properly. Is it a audio taper?

--
Brian

Is there concern that lowering the gain may result in lower sound reproduction quality? I ask because I recall a thread that suggested the optimal gain for achieving the best sound quality was around 33 or so.

If I remember properly, this was around the gain setting 47 Labs used in the original Gaincard, and I think Peter Daniel experimented with these values and found this value to sound best. I could be remebering incorrectly, but this is the impression I came away with.

If anyone could elaborate on this, it would be most instructive.

Best,
KT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.