Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2004, 07:55 PM   #1
m127 is offline m127  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Default Gainclone for an active subwoofer

Hi All,
I have built a Gainclone with LM1875s, and I am very pleased with its performance. Its sound is excellent and its power is far enough for me and my room.
The next step I want to take is try to get those 2 octaves which are too low for my speakers. I am planning to build an active sub. What I want is fast, clean bass, not big power. I like the gainclone idea very much, and I know (I've seen it on my oscilloscope) that my Gainclone is able to produce nice low frequency sounds. This gave the idea of building an active subwoofer with a (mono) gainclone. I tried to search through the forum for this, but didn't manage to find anything. Has anyone tried this? Should the LM1875 be able to handle this or should I try to get an LM3875 instead (they are not easy to get here)? Are there any possible problems just because it will drive a subwoofer? What special things should I take care of? Does anyone have some schemas showing how to connect the input signal of that amp? Is there any simple solution for the low-pass filter?
Regards,
m127
Old 9th October 2004, 09:18 PM   #2
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I am powering my TL woofers with LM3875's but with the addition of 10,000 uF per rail. I am surprised at how well this works (-3 db at 22 Hz) although I will also try a bridged GC to see if that is any better.
Old 28th October 2004, 08:30 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Im interested to know if anyone else runs the LM3*** chips to power a sub?

I currently have a stereo LM3875 igc but no where near enough bass. So i need and active sub. Plus i have loads of these chip's
Old 28th October 2004, 03:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to officeboy
I have 2 lm3886's that power each coil of an Adire Shiva. It's more power then it can use in the box it's in.

There are a few pictures of it on my site.
Old 28th October 2004, 04:06 PM   #5
flubug is offline flubug  United States
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up LM3886 subwoofer amp

I am using a ParaPix subwoofer amp I picked up on eBay to power a Dayton 10'"DVC woofer in a sealed cabinet. This amp uses two LM3886 ICs which can supposedly be bridged though I haven't tried that. I got it sans xformer and hooked it up with a 24-0-24 initially followed by a 20-0-20 as the final choice. This amp was sold by Apex Jr. some time back and his site (http://www.apexjr.com/parapixinfo.html) has very thorough documentation including schematics.

I like it so much I'm now building my own using LM3886's.
Old 28th October 2004, 08:30 PM   #6
joensd is offline joensd  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What I want is fast, clean bass, not big power.
Then you MIGHT be satisfied with just one chip.
If you havenīt got it already you should buy a LM3886 preferably due to bigger output current in comparison to LM3875.
You can of course also parallel 2-3 LM1875 to get about the same power.
Will it be an 4Ohm sub? 20W is the limit with one chip.
With an 8Ohm sub you get about 30W max.

Quote:
I am powering my TL woofers with LM3875's but with the addition of 10,000 uF per rail. I am surprised at how well this works (-3 db at 22 Hz) although I will also try a bridged GC to see if that is any better.
Any info on the woofers? Havenīt found them on your webpage.
Guess they are 8Ohm if you thinking about bridging?

Cheers
Old 28th October 2004, 09:22 PM   #7
mateo88 is offline mateo88  United States
diyAudio Member

Use the lm3886. In my opinion the bass sounds much better than with an lm3875. It's much tighter and punchier.
Old 29th October 2004, 02:15 AM   #8
Aunkst is offline Aunkst  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a single lm3886 running my sub. it has more power than I can realistically use. because seriously. 40-50 watts of REAL power is pleanty for all but really big rooms.

sounds great. I use a tl084 for a simple line level crossover. again sounds great. simple to work with.
Old 19th November 2004, 12:05 PM   #9
aeon is offline aeon  Poland
diyAudio Member

Default tl084 for a simple line level crossover

Hi, could you provide me some more info about that line level xover? Some schematics, PCB diagram etc?

I'm not very good in electronics, but I can follow instructions, can read diagrams, I know what parts doing, can solder and do PCB

Thanks

AeoN
Old 19th November 2004, 01:15 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scribble
Im interested to know if anyone else runs the LM3*** chips to power a sub?

I currently have a stereo LM3875 igc but no where near enough bass. So i need and active sub. Plus i have loads of these chip's
Here is the example I have using BrainGT's LM3875 kits
The Butcher
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p7110031.jpg (61.8 KB, 452 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!