Pocket pre-amp & headamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The circuit is common RA-1,there is not a novel one. The part of the power supply is using the JRC4556 rail splitter.and white LED.the red cap is WIMA MKP10,4.7uf BP.Gain setting at 6.
Circuit part place in under the socket.
It can drive er4s and grado headphone.the sound is graceful,a little darkness evil.at the same time,I use the module for my 3886IGC,wow!!the system sound is never so good :)

Attachments

• hdp-face.jpg
    hdp-face.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 454
Digi,

I have built many variations of RA-1 type circuits. I love the sound of the 4556! I was just thinking about using a simmilar NJR4556 with a regulated supply as a preamp for my GC which is 85% done. From your post, I take it that this is a good solution. I still have one PCB from jiggler that I can use. I have about 100 NJR4556's sitting in my parts box. This is a commonly overlooked op-amp. I still think it's my favorite. People dont like the specs, but it sure does sound great. It's a little slow, but I think that adds a tube-like character. I think you should use those regulator boards of yours on your RA-1style pre amp and let me know what happens.

Side Note,
I ordered an enclosure from par-metal. Does anybody know how long it usually takes for them to arrive? It's my last piece to the GC puzzle.

Carlos,

I have heard it sound that way as well if you implement it wrorg. If you use right value, the 4556 kicks butt. It is still dark and a little slow but lacks no detail. I prefer this sound to the digital harshness of any OPA. Those to me are too fatiguing (Actually it's quite painful). I like to listen to music, and I would rather be able to feel comfortable when doing so.

amisdad said:
It is still dark and a little slow but lacks no detail.

Dark and slow, yes, but doesn't lack detail?:confused:
Is it possible?

amisdad said:
I prefer this sound to the digital harshness of any OPA. Those to me are too fatiguing (Actually it's quite painful).

Actually, that's what I meand.
That harshness comes from your source and/or the recordings.
You are fooling yourself by putting a blanket to stop the harshness.
Some people downgrade a component just to stop the harshness of bad recordings and/or bad sources.
That's a completely wrong approach.
You should attack the source of the problem.
That's why I always say: the source is the most important component of a system.
Trash-in-trash-out.
I think I'm giving you good advice, please don't take me wrong.

amisdad said:
I like to listen to music, and I would rather be able to feel comfortable when doing so.

Me too, and most OPAs sound very "analogue", no harsh at all, and with much more detail than any 4556 could ever dream of.
If you are trying to soften Miles Davis' trumpet you are loosing the music's realism.
IMHO.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.