An unusual hum problem. Need help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nuuk said:
I was taught that I should have a direct connection between the metal case/chassis and the mains earth and a connection between the main star ground point and the metal case. The second connection being made via a cap and resistor in parallel.

The reason for the first connection is obvious - to carry any high voltages that accidently contact the metal case to ground. But what exactly is the reason for the second connection between case and main star ground? :confused:

So what happens when there's no mains earth, as is the case in
Brazil and many other countries?

Carlos

Some time ago I quit using mains earth on my amps.
I mean, what's the use of injecting noise on the precious signal?
Just make the star ground on the case and forget mains earth.
You should have a fuse, mains earth will cause more problems than it solves, specially on buildings, mains earth is not good.
Make it like this, my mini-Krell.:D
The Cat.5 cable comes from the two RCAs.
This amp is dead silent.:shhh:
For those who care, this pic was taken with my old, trusty, high-end Canon T90. Good old analog.:cool:

Attachments

• star ground_2.jpg
    star ground_2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 228
carlosfm said:
For those who care, this pic was taken with my old, trusty, high-end Canon T90. Good old analog.:cool:

How did you process it into digital image? It's nicely sharp.

Regarding mains ground, on my stereo amp I never used it, as it had outboard PS, and never had any problems.

With monoblocks, I decided to attach mains earth to chassis, yet on some amps sent to Europe this created hum problem (seems like earth was missing in ther AC connections) . The chassis had to be connected to signal ground and this fixed the noise problem.

So from now on, I'm also not using earth on the chassis.

Peter Daniel said:
How did you process it into digital image? It's nicely sharp.

It was scanned directly from the negatives at 6.5 megapixels.;)
Lens is a Tamron SP 35-80mm f:2.8~3.8 in macro mode.
To fit here, I had to compress the image much more, so you can imagine the original.

Peter Daniel said:
With monoblocks, I decided to attach mains earth to chassis, yet on some amps sent to Europe this created hum problem (seems like earth was missing in ther AC connections) . The chassis had to be connected to signal ground and this fixed the noise problem.

I have mains earth on my living room, where I have my main system.
True, many homes only have mains earth on the kitchen.

Upupa Epops said:
What is your " mains earth in living room " ? Well with salt water ? I have " virtual earth " and I have any problems ( maybe because it is on WC, not in kitchen :D ).

I call it just earth usually, but we are non-english talking english so... whatever.:D
You don't have earth on the kitchen?
For the washing machines, the fridge...
No?:confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.