My first gainclone; which one?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I have become facinated with the idea of building a GC or similar. I have built many tube amp kits, and am fine at soldering, and reading schematics. I have never built an amp "from scratch" however!

I am overwhelmed by the number of chip amp alternatives, and would like some suggestions. My ideal would be:

1) Cost effective (ca £300 total project, I guess around$575)
2) Upgradeable, but not so that I will need to make another variant
3) Parts readily available
4) Will sound good from the off.

Any suggestions, circuits etc would be welcomed.

Regards

Steve

Hi Vaughst

The best way to enter the chipamp world is to by one of BrianGT's kits, that's how I got involved with those little suckers. A premium kit based on the LM3875, a transformer, a pair of binding posts, a pair of RCA jacks and a mains plug and switch. Total cost will be around $ 150, give or take a few bucks depending on the quality of the parts used. For the amount of money spend you will get a nice little amplifier with a more than reasonable sound, believe me. From there on you can experiment by adding a buffer, regulated power supplys or whatever. I'm very happy with my LM3875 based amp so far. Currently busy with a design from Peranders based on an LM3886.

Cheers

Walter

2) Upgradeable, but not so that I will need to make another variant

Steve, looking at that requirement, I would go for the DIY approach, ie not a kit. That will give you much more flexibility.

Be aware though that the GC is in a state of constant development and some of those improvements may mean building a different version.

Also be aware that playing with this type of amp can become addictive! :att'n:

If you have not yet been there, have a look at my GC pages and then hop onto the GC web ring. ;)

It was your website that got me here in the first place! Thanks.

I sometimes feel like a drugs dealer - getting so many people hooked on this hobby! :D

Bit confused as to the inverting/non inverting issue; which is the more favoured?

WORLD WAR III ALERT

I prefer the IGC and from what I have read about half the other GC builders do too. The other half prefer the NIGC. This has been the subject of some (very) heated debate in the past! ;)

IMHO, more important than IGC v NIGC are factors like regulated PSU, T-network configuration, type of buffer (if any).

Personally, I like a buffered IGC and am currently deciding if the T-network suits my tastes. I have tried regulated supplies and found that they gave an improvment too. My problem is that I am trying so many alternatives, I can't keep up with the permutations. :dead:

In short, despite claims made by people, most of the variations sound different rather than better or worse and the only way to find out what is 'best' for you, is to try it. ;)

very nicely handled, nuuk. i laughed out loud at the ALERT. i think you just saved steve a lot of sidetrack.

steve, re "Upgradeable": get some desoldering braid, and use a case that gives you some elbow room. then you can try different permutations on the same amp.

i haven't noticed anyone say a variant sounds bad. you could start anywhere. the variations are to improve a good result, not replace a failure, so why not start with the simplest and then take your time experimenting with variations that make sense to you as your experience broadens. if you're not replacing the tranny and case each time then the cost to play doesn't climb too quickly.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Nuuk said:

In short, despite claims made by people, most of the variations sound different rather than better or worse and the only way to find out what is 'best' for you, is to try it. ;)

Well said Nuuk. :D

Of my GCs, I have 3 that I consider sound quite good, but different. They are physically all different. They vary by IGC/NIGC, operating voltage, diodes versus bridge, 1 toriod versus 2 and size and location of caps and earthing arrangements. :xeye:

Funny thing is my "current" favourite is a IGC built from generic components and wired to my test PSU (1 toriod and 1 bridge) with crappy little wires. How can this sound as good as the ones using exotic components and fitted in nice cases with good wiring, two big toriods and 16 good diodes? :confused:

These GCs are funny beasts.

Like you just did to me yesterday? You sorry, worthless, snivelling...

In my defence, I am only suggesting beginner's stuff. I would never push hard stuff like Black Gates or TVC's! :D

And damn it. My best sounding GC is still the one thrown together quickly on a piece of old timber. I'm getting very near to suggesting that a case of any sort is actually detrimental to the sound. In fact, I am about to build another (NIGC this time) on another plank of wood! :smash:

Nuuk said:

In my defence, I am only suggesting beginner's stuff. I would never push hard stuff like Black Gates or TVC's! :D

:smash:

That's what I mean: I was a "speakers-only" guy until I stumbled across your site, upon which discovery I e-mailed BrianGT for one of his marvelous GCs.

But, it's off tp Philly for three days, then a return to--hopefully--amp paradise.

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.