Searching for a quality amp for single 12V supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Title says it all.. I'm designing an amp which would be placed in the 3,5" rack of my computer and alternatively sometimes used as is with a separate power supply. I already have a case of a diskette drive, some heat sinks and a fan to suit the application.

The main restriction seems to be the supply available; the amp should work with a single supply of +12v (or 5v). The power supply of the computer should be adequate for connecting an extra current eater to it (350W). The TDA 7xxx series from ST could be a solution but I'm not feeling very confident of their sound quality :whazzat: And sonic quality is the main thing in here. Power needed is only a couple watts. I'm currently using a pair of sensitive Philips fullranges near the computer, in the future maybe some fullrages from Monacor, Visaton or Tang Band. And of course listening levels are low.

A very small class A amp could be an option (cool :D ) or the TDA 2040, it apparently should operate with single 12v supply, which means a couple watts output power.

Any suggestions? :smash:

Phillips has a bunch but I haven't found a source for them yet.

Like TDA5871 etc.

They're ment for car audio amplications, so 12V would be fine.

Pete

Just check Phillips I'm not sure if that part number is right. TDA8571 I think, or something.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
I have now decided to use two ta8225h chips since I already bought them last week, but thanks for replying anyway. I did search for projects with ta8225h, but found zero, so this is a sort of experimenal project (not again :) ).. I'll let you know how they sound. Project is about to start during this or next week.

It's a challenge to get all the stuff in.. Estimated running temperature: hot :cannotbe:

Attachments

• sijoittelua2.jpg
    sijoittelua2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 690
Wouldn't the sound quality of any of the possible chipamps be questionable with both the fairly unstable 12v voltage rail (i've seen it move up around 0.4v depending on what your computer is going), and also the number of nasty devices connected to this rail, such as perhaps 3 fans, the motor spinning up in the dvd drive etc..

Also won't proper grounding be a problem?

Alex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.