Toroid question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2004, 05:34 PM   #1
amisdad is offline amisdad  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Toroid question

I am using Brians V1 board. I just recieved the transformer for my first GC today. I have a few questions. The primaries are red, black, and yellow. I know that red and black go to the mains. What do I do with the yellow? Just terminate it closed so that it doesn't ever make contact with anything? Also, I have two blue secondaries and two green secondaries. How do I know which one will go to AC1N and AC1H as well as the AC2 side. I know that the two blue leads are a pair but do not know which one is hot. I know that my answer involves my multimeter. I did try to put a small voltage through the primaries and I got the same reading on each secondary lead. I have attached a picture for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toroid.jpg (79.7 KB, 64 views)
Old 25th September 2004, 01:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Toroid question

It really doesn't matter which way round the 2 wires of each secondary pair are connected. The output voltage is AC, and the rectifier dridge doesn't really care which way round things are connected on the input side.

Steve

Quote:
Originally posted by amisdad
I am using Brians V1 board. I just recieved the transformer for my first GC today. I have a few questions. The primaries are red, black, and yellow. I know that red and black go to the mains. What do I do with the yellow? Just terminate it closed so that it doesn't ever make contact with anything? Also, I have two blue secondaries and two green secondaries. How do I know which one will go to AC1N and AC1H as well as the AC2 side. I know that the two blue leads are a pair but do not know which one is hot. I know that my answer involves my multimeter. I did try to put a small voltage through the primaries and I got the same reading on each secondary lead. I have attached a picture for reference.
Old 25th September 2004, 05:24 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Boy do I feel smart!
Old 25th September 2004, 06:29 AM   #4
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Toroid question

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackDog
It really doesn't matter which way round the 2 wires of each secondary pair are connected. The output voltage is AC, and the rectifier dridge doesn't really care which way round things are connected on the input side.
It does matter ONLY if you have _one_ rectifier bridge and want to create +- voltage.

This wasn't so unsmart question after all, but it's better to ask and feel studip than connect wrong and be
Old 25th September 2004, 07:17 AM   #5
Franz G is offline Franz G  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

You should check the yellow cable with an ohmmeter.

If it is connected to the primary side: then maybe 50% of the primary is for 117V and the full primary for 230V?

If it is not connected to any winding, then it is a shield, wich should be connected for safety reasons to the "earth" (the AC-ground eg. Box). I have never seen shields at torroids, up to now.

Franz
Old 25th September 2004, 07:43 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The label states that the yellow lead is for 230V. I got this transformer on Ebay for a mere $25.00. It is 2x21V 400VA. Not a bad deal I think? It appears to be of great quality. I'll post the results of the transformer when I'm done with the amp. Thanks for all of your help!
Old 25th September 2004, 07:59 AM   #7
Franz G is offline Franz G  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Then just isolate the yellow wire (and fix it).

You are on the happy side, with 117V: you can try the primaries without risking the tranny.

Here, with the 230V net, we must think before try, because trafos are not smokeable

Franz

Hide this!Advertise here!