Variable frequency low pass filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello all,

I'm working my senior project a monobolck caraudio subwoofer amp.

I have just now ran in to a brick wall, the low pass filter.

The problem I have is this; I cannot find a good knowledge sources on active, variable frequency, filter designs. I would like to vary the cut off frequency and the gain. Roughly 50-300Hz for the frequency range, and about 5-10 for the voltage gain.

I'm currently useing the Burrbrown OPA 2132 to acheive this design. (because I've worked with them before and I had a few extras to work with.)
I cannot come up with Ideas on how to achive the variable frequecy with Pots. You are to avoid the use of variable capisitors in audio circuits correct?

I've found a few books and sources on-line but these only seem to deal with set or fixed cutoff frequency designs.

Finally What other characteristics should I be consitering.

I would be grateful if you all could point me in a good direction.
Thanks For your time.

here's an idea

This has a hp filter in it two but just pretend that isn't there. Replace the two 5.35k resistances with a dual gang pot. Figure our what gain setting resistors you need in place of the two 1k resistors and you are set. Adjustable lowpass. The pot value you will have to figure. Right now it's set for f-3dB at 3kHz if i remember correctly.

Attachments

• xover.jpg
    xover.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 659
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
matjans said:
about halfway down the page there's something about the stuff you want.
mind you, there used to be a calculation error somewhere on the page (don't know if he fixed it yet).

I think i fixed it... (i'm sooo behind with updates to my site)

there is also a set of active XO links...

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/linx/xolinks.html

dave

There are application notes on both the Analog Devices www.analog.com and Microchip Technologies www.microchip.com websites which specifically address tuneable filters using digital potentiometers -- if you don't want to program the digital pots you can use the Dallas Semiconductor devices which don't require programming.

Here's the link to the Microchip AN737:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/00737c.pdf

if you don't want to use a digital potentiometer you can use an inexpensive 8-bit ADC and a bunch of relays to switch values of resistors, proportioned to the transfer function.

One other thing about filters -- don't scrimp on the operational amplifiers -- they need high bandwidth to function properly.

With respect to the digital filters from Linear Tech and Maxim -- there are some with very low noise, low THD. You have to carefully check the specs since some aren't designed for the audio bands.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.