BrianGT Basic vs Premium+BG Test part 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2004, 04:43 PM   #1
Vikash is offline Vikash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default BrianGT Basic vs Premium+BG Test part 2

We did a second test this week, this time after 30-40 hours of heavy burn-in. I've also finished the web pages on these amps with more pics:
http://www.vikash.info/audio/gainclone02/index.asp

Part 1 thread for future reference.

Look forward to your comments.
"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)
Old 21st September 2004, 08:08 PM   #2
mhr is offline mhr  Europe
diyAudio Member

Great article Vikash!

It's nice to see someone listening GC with some real hifi equipment. I hope we get more comparisons agains well known hifi/high-end amplifiers.

Mikko
Old 21st September 2004, 09:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Vikash

Is it possible for you to do some tests using moving coil speakers? I have nothing against electrostats but most amps sound very different driving them. I also have some suspicions that the poor GCs drop in cold sweat in front of an electrostat
Old 21st September 2004, 09:12 PM   #4

That is something I would like to try myself but alas I have no access to any high end dynamic speakers The first comparisson actually began with a pair of Tannoy M1's and they were soon tossed away for the ML Scenarios.

Unless someone wants to donate some speakers to me I'll have to wait till I finish my Seas Excel speakers (and start them) for another comparisson. Can you wait a year?
"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)
Old 21st September 2004, 09:27 PM   #5
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Vikash,

Well written article. It was interesting to see your listening impressions. I have never directly compared the basic kit to the premium kit myself. Thanks for the insight.

--
Brian
Old 21st September 2004, 09:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

To Vikash : Pictures show your great effort to make this thing perfect and I say that it is perfect work. But they say nothing about real quality of both clones and nothing about comparision to some different amp.
Old 21st September 2004, 09:51 PM   #7

Hi Upupa, I brielfy compared the basic kit amplifier with Denon's once top HT amp which I mentioned at the beginning of that page. The clone was the better amp although not by leaps and bounds (it's worth mentioning that the clone was the basic kit and had not been burned in yet). This kind friend who allowed me to use his setup is soon to invest/try out some better amps of the Bryston et al calibre and I will hopefully be able to carry out some more comparissons then - although this will now be for his benefit not mine as he is considering the DIY route after hearing these amps

To me, they are the best amps I have heard. But then I have yet to thoroughly audition a Krell, ML or Bryston...
Old 22nd September 2004, 05:58 PM   #8
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi All-

Anyone in the DFW area wants to host a comparison between my Jeff Rowland Model 2 and my Premium CG?

My B&W 805's are being "upgraded" so I don't have any reference speakers at the moment.

Thanks in advance,

Troy

Hide this!Advertise here!