Dc protection with gainclone? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2004, 02:24 PM   #1
edpgc is offline edpgc  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Dc protection with gainclone?

Hi I've got a LM4780 based amp and have implemented some relay driven DC protection for the speakers, however is it necessary? What failure modes are there for the LM4780 or similar that could cause it to output a DC dignal? How good is its built in protection?

If one of the rails potential was lost, even partially would it protect the speakers?

Im just wondering whether I should take it out or leave it there!?

Cheers

Ed
Old 18th September 2004, 02:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I'm not sure about 4780, but LM3875 has a protection against one rail being off.

When one rail fails, there is no DC on the output. You need to have a load present to observe it (high power resistor is fine for testing).

You might want to protect the input, from DC being passed from a previous stage, especially with minimized circuits when the amp hasn't unity gain at DC.

A simple coupling cap would do a job, and basically output protection circuit is not a neccessity.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 18th September 2004, 03:41 PM   #3
edpgc is offline edpgc  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hmm, well that was a wate of a few hours using spice. lol So is there any scenario whereby output protection would be necessary? I suspect only the failure of the chip itself in some rather specific way.

Thanks
Old 18th September 2004, 03:54 PM   #4
Banned

Send a message via AIM to yldouright Send a message via Yahoo to yldouright
edpgc

As I understand it, the only failure danger with this chip is if it starts oscillating and even that is mitigated when you don't invert it but I'm not the authority on this chip here.
Old 18th September 2004, 04:44 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So is there any scenario whereby output protection would be necessary? I suspect only the failure of the chip itself in some rather specific way.
There is no doubt that a complete meltdown of the chip may result DC at output. It doesn't seem to happen often and most of us prefer to not have a relay along the signal line but if you want 100% protection a relay seems the only option
Old 18th September 2004, 05:01 PM   #6
Banned

Send a message via AIM to yldouright Send a message via Yahoo to yldouright
ananlog_sa

I think I read in another thread that you run a battery gainclone. If this is so, which circuit did you use? I'm planning on gutting an old Kenwood integrated to put in a gainclone, DAC and phono stage to run on 4 12V/7Ah SLA batteries and could definitely use your help and experience in this adventure if you have any.
Old 18th September 2004, 05:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
run a battery gainclone
No. I only tried batteries briefly. PD is your guy.
Old 18th September 2004, 07:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by analog_sa

There is no doubt that a complete meltdown of the chip may result DC at output. It doesn't seem to happen often and most of us prefer to not have a relay along the signal line but if you want 100% protection a relay seems the only option
Fuses are an alternative.

I use fast blow fuses in series with the speaker +, especially during amp testing. I use 3/4 - 1 amps worth of fuse for every 25W of speaker continuous RMS rating.

Saved me when I did a bonehead thing related to making a change in an amp. It was not a DC problem but would have been a "to much output" problem for my speakers. I was glad to have the protection.
Old 18th September 2004, 07:48 PM   #9
usekgb is offline usekgb  United States
diyAudio Member

I have seen quite a number of LM3886 chips fail, and pass 40 volts DC to the outputs, frying the compression driver the chip was powering. This happened to the first generation of the JBL EON G2 powered PA speakers. Basically, the chip got too hot, failed, and started passing DC. I believe this was happening because JBL was just trying to get too much power out of the 3886. In the next generation of amp boards, they switched to the TDA7293, and the problem was solved.

So, to make a long story short, these chips can fail and pass DC. But this will only occur in extreme circumstances.

Cheers,
Zach
Old 18th September 2004, 07:51 PM   #10
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If you want to 'play safe' have a look at these .

As already stated, in theory it is not a good idea to have a relay in the speaker line but in practice, it hardly notices at all and the peace of mind it gives you may even help you enjoy the music more.

Hide this!Advertise here!