Have you guys seen this...yet? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2004, 07:48 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

"What i was saying is that it really shouldnt count as a single part because it contains many transistors inside. I used the P4 chip as an example of counting a IC as a single part regardless of its internal complexity."

I think you should consider it as one manufactured part, as in any practical sense you can not remove a single resistor or capacitor or transistor from a P4 chip. The same goes for the LM3875 once manufactured it is indivisible.

How about a capacitor Electro has liquid and foils and leads.

To be a real nitpicker how about the wires (PCB lands) connecting the 3875 to other components?
Old 16th September 2004, 10:54 PM   #22
Illusus is offline Illusus  Canada
diyAudio Member

KT- I don't see anything wrong with selling off diy projects, but did you read the description of the unit in mention? Kinda seems wrong doesn't it?
Old 16th September 2004, 11:59 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

wow I had no idea people would be that interested in DIY stuff for sale..

Whenever I see DIY speakers on ebay they dont get any bids at all (Ive only seen really cheap ones though).

hmm
Old 17th September 2004, 12:10 AM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by thomas997
wow I had no idea people would be that interested in DIY stuff for sale..

Whenever I see DIY speakers on ebay they dont get any bids at all (Ive only seen really cheap ones though).
hmm
Maby the 47 Labs name sells?
Maby this is the legal issue, and not the fact that the amp uses Brian/PD PCBs?

You can make a Halcro "clone", say it everywhere in the page and ask big money for it.
Old 17th September 2004, 01:27 AM   #25
KT is offline KT  United States
diyAudio Member

Illusus,

I re-read the Ebay post and, yes, I know what you mean.

Although I don't think any of it is false, the ad copy is over the top. The ad essentially extolls all of the unique features of the real Gaincard without really highlighting the particulars of the unit being sold. There is a connection being made between the two. Is there a term for this in the advertising world?

Anyhow, I think we'd all agree that hype sells. Just look at the price!

KT
Old 17th September 2004, 02:00 AM   #26
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
carlosfm,

you can make a halcro clone! if you have any info, id be interested just for novelty factor alone.
Old 17th September 2004, 02:11 AM   #27
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

WOW!

you people are tough..

what on earth would cause you to rip-on this ebay sale?

Intellectual property rights? Consider that the basic design is from the chip maker.. that didn't stop 47 labs.

and a prob. with the Brian PCB's? what was the sales agreement? (was their a licensing agreement?). what would be the recourse even if it was violated, (and it was legit)? Chances are it violates SOME countries laws - EVEN IF Brian expressly authorized it. As far a courteousness is concerned - well thats up to each individual. If I remember correctly 47 labs got *****ish that 6moons did an article on Peter's amps where the two were compared.. so your not going to please everyone (and apparently some here are very difficult to please). Thankfully, life isn't about pleasing everyone.

trademark prob.s with 47 labs.. heck I don't see a TM even for their pricipal logo.

there COULD be a copyright violation from cut'n'paste "features" blurb from 47 labs's, but I see nothing to indicate even the presence of a copyright. Chances are if you don't like the General description its because of the BS pulled directly from 47 labs (and thats what it seems like most people are having problems with here).

As for the product warrenty, I'm shocked there is one at all! The only thing the seller needs to do in the US for an auction sale like this is say the magic words "As is", (not even say that there isn't a warrenty).
Old 17th September 2004, 03:53 AM   #28
Illusus is offline Illusus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Just because it's legal doesn't make it right. This type of thinking just leads to more laws that shouldn't have to be implied.
Old 17th September 2004, 01:54 PM   #29
KT is offline KT  United States
diyAudio Member

Actually, I don't have a problem with the amp on Ebay. I think people can sell whatever they'd like, as long as their advertisements are not misleading and no one's intellectual, copy, or other rights are violated. I think this sale is fine in that regard. No objection on my part.

I think the negative reaction arises when the hyped-up tone of the ad copy (which seems to be accurate as far as the claims go) is held against the actual build quality of the amp (inexpensive Radio Shack binding posts, cheapish plastic Humpty box, messy wiring, etc.). It seems like an attempt to aggressively market a product that's not so well executed.

I doubt anyone would be upset if the ad copy were toned down to match the quality of the amp, or if the amp's build quality was such that it really did live up to the copy hype.

Of course, there's the issue of price. As long as the amp is fairly represented, the market will work out the price. It is an auction, after all. Buyers bid what they feel the item is worth... no pressures for anyone to do anything.

I think the warranty is a nice touch. It suggests to me that Karma is a conscientious guy who's fair and is concerned with the buyer's satisfaction. That's cool.

Anyhow, I kind of like seeing DIY efforts on Ebay. Make life interesting, you know. I say: more gainclones on Ebay!

KT
Old 17th September 2004, 02:07 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

This forum never ceases to amaze me.

A guy sells his amp on eBay, and people ask if it is legal!? What about the rest on eBay? What about a Sony amp, you think that's illegal because Sony owns the design? Give me a break!

And then the criticism on the hype, I don't get it. So he calls an IC 'one' component. Ever read an ad for cables, for caps, for brilliant pebbles? Now THERE is something to get irritated about, those misleading and false claims that abound, but you all accept it for some dark reason. Yet you all fall over Karma for counting an IC as 'one'.
LOL! get a life, guys!

Jan Didden

Hide this!Advertise here!