Have you guys seen this...yet? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2004, 04:34 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

oldschool
Old 16th September 2004, 04:37 AM   #12
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

yes and i sold just about everything i have in diyaudio.
no time for it anymore.

its been fun at this forum and i learned allot.

i was thinking i was going to get a few bucks for it. if someone
likes it that much good for them its a nice sounding amp.

and with that i say chow later. u may remove me from the forum

Peace
Old 16th September 2004, 05:21 AM   #13
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Thats so funny some one should show brian gt and peter daniel : O ) see what brian has to say about this..
Old 16th September 2004, 05:28 AM   #14
Illusus is offline Illusus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well, I apologize. The auction description is very misleading. If it wasn't so over the top I would have taken it for what it is, just clearing out some DIY or building funds for next project, and I wouldn't have started ****. One of my teachers used to often say "when you assume you make an a$$ out of you and me".
Old 16th September 2004, 05:53 AM   #15
Illusus is offline Illusus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Oh wow...I never scrolled down past the pictures...your policies are a hoot. Ever consider selling stuff in a big box store? With your creative writing 'skillz' you could make a killing off comission sales. Heck start an online business, no Brian's kits though (I'm half joking/serious). It takes a certain kind of person to be able to sell stuff well, and seemingly there is plenty of room for them. Personally, I couldn't do it that way, conscience and all that .
If you quit DIY it must not have been your bag. I think I could quit smoking, sex, drinking and whatever else, but never DIY. Anyway, it's been nice having you here, sorry you gotta go on a sour note.
Old 16th September 2004, 01:23 PM   #16
KT is offline KT  United States
diyAudio Member

I think selling a one-off item like this on Ebay is fine. It's when someone starts a business venture using Brian and Peter's boards that it becomes a problem.

Any lawyers out there who can tell us about ownership and usage rights in this case?

If one were to buy the boards from Brian, what are the legal limitations for use of these boards? Does the purchaser own the board outright after purchase (and can do whatever he/she wants, including resale), or are there licensing issues involved?

I'm sure there are implied limits that vary from country to country and from region to region. It'd be interesting to hear from a copyright/patent attorney regarding this.

KT
Old 16th September 2004, 02:42 PM   #17
Vikash is offline Vikash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Well since there is no patent on the pcb design by brian (or on the original Gain Card AFAIK), I assume you can do as you please with them. However, were someone seriously considering this then it would be courteous to involve brian in the equation or he may choose to bump up the price since there would be commercial gain involved.

There is nothing wrong in selling gainclone amps commercially, and I certainly don't know why some of you are on Karma's case since he is merely trying to make a sale of a one off amp. If you don't like it then don't buy it. But were someone to exploit these kits that are provided for the benefit of the DIY community, and keep large profits resulting from commercial application, then I too would be shouting.
"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)
Old 16th September 2004, 03:31 PM   #18
HFGuy is offline HFGuy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Perhaps it bothers me no one else, but since when does an IC count as a single part ??? Its like counting a P4 chip as 1 regardless of the fact its made of 100 million transistors (or whatever the number may be).
Old 16th September 2004, 03:59 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by HFGuy
Perhaps it bothers me no one else, but since when does an IC count as a single part ???

Quote:
Originally posted by HFGuy
Its like counting a P4 chip as 1 regardless of the fact its made of 100 million transistors (or whatever the number may be).
So you have the choice to buy a P4 with only 10 transistors inside?
Where?
Old 16th September 2004, 05:41 PM   #20
HFGuy is offline HFGuy  Canada
diyAudio Member

I failed to be clear. In the ebay auction he says "World's smallest number of parts - 7 parts per channel", so he counted the LM3875 as a single part. What i was saying is that it really shouldnt count as a single part because it contains many transistors inside. I used the P4 chip as an example of counting a IC as a single part regardless of its internal complexity.

Hide this!Advertise here!