Have you guys seen this...yet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What grabbed me first were not the false claims, it was the obvious shoddy construction. That case looks just plain bad, the wood finish looks awful, look at the screw holes in the sink, the crappy plastic project box used for the "humpty", the cheapest connectors you can buy and the spaghetti wiring job. I hate to think what the 'humpty looks like inside. This guy pretty much copied the Gaincard discription and pasted it in his auction, the description says nothing about that particular "clone". And what the hell is that holding the ps case together, tape?

All this is fine for a diy jobbie, but for something you're going to sell? C'mon?! Why are people bidding on this?

Let's see, red boards, regular looking resistors, room for a Zobel. . . looks like the BrianGT basic kit pre-built to me. I do wonder about the number of holes in the rear 'heatsink' though.

Maybe the new name of the site should be DIYSellItOnEbay.com.

Sandy.

BTW: Isn't BrianGT printed on the board? I don't recall. PD must be rolling over in his bed right now!

yes and i sold just about everything i have in diyaudio.
no time for it anymore.

its been fun at this forum and i learned allot.

i was thinking i was going to get a few bucks for it. if someone
likes it that much good for them its a nice sounding amp.

and with that i say chow later. u may remove me from the forum;)

Peace:)

Well, I apologize. The auction description is very misleading. If it wasn't so over the top I would have taken it for what it is, just clearing out some DIY or building funds for next project, and I wouldn't have started ****. One of my teachers used to often say "when you assume you make an a$$ out of you and me".

Oh wow...I never scrolled down past the pictures...your policies are a hoot. Ever consider selling stuff in a big box store? With your creative writing 'skillz' you could make a killing off comission sales. Heck start an online business, no Brian's kits though (I'm half joking/serious). It takes a certain kind of person to be able to sell stuff well, and seemingly there is plenty of room for them. Personally, I couldn't do it that way, conscience and all that ;).
If you quit DIY it must not have been your bag. I think I could quit smoking, sex, drinking and whatever else, but never DIY. Anyway, it's been nice having you here, sorry you gotta go on a sour note.

I think selling a one-off item like this on Ebay is fine. It's when someone starts a business venture using Brian and Peter's boards that it becomes a problem.

Any lawyers out there who can tell us about ownership and usage rights in this case?

If one were to buy the boards from Brian, what are the legal limitations for use of these boards? Does the purchaser own the board outright after purchase (and can do whatever he/she wants, including resale), or are there licensing issues involved?

I'm sure there are implied limits that vary from country to country and from region to region. It'd be interesting to hear from a copyright/patent attorney regarding this.

KT

Well since there is no patent on the pcb design by brian (or on the original Gain Card AFAIK), I assume you can do as you please with them. However, were someone seriously considering this then it would be courteous to involve brian in the equation or he may choose to bump up the price since there would be commercial gain involved.

There is nothing wrong in selling gainclone amps commercially, and I certainly don't know why some of you are on Karma's case since he is merely trying to make a sale of a one off amp. If you don't like it then don't buy it. But were someone to exploit these kits that are provided for the benefit of the DIY community, and keep large profits resulting from commercial application, then I too would be shouting.

I failed to be clear. In the ebay auction he says "World's smallest number of parts - 7 parts per channel", so he counted the LM3875 as a single part. What i was saying is that it really shouldnt count as a single part because it contains many transistors inside. I used the P4 chip as an example of counting a IC as a single part regardless of its internal complexity.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.