Have you guys seen this...yet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
janneman said:
So, why are lots of people using 1000uF or even less?

Forget it.
I use regulated PSU with big caps before the regs.:D

Unfortunately these chips, with unreg. PSU, only sound good with 1000~1500uf per rail/chip.
Believe me, increase the capacitance and it affects midband and treble.
But with this low capacitance bass always suffers, except with very sensitive and easy to drive speakers.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
carlosfm said:

Forget it.
I use regulated PSU with big caps before the regs.:D

Unfortunately these chips, with unreg. PSU, only sound good with 1000~1500uf per rail/chip.
Believe me, increase the capacitance and it affects midband and treble.
But with this low capacitance bass always suffers, except with very sensitive and easy to drive speakers.

Yes, bass will suffer, less with sensitive speakers. I can also understand that midband and treble will be affected. The PSRR is less at higher frequencies, and the increased supply ripple contains increased high-frequency harmonics to the line frequency. And when you get to the output level limit, say with strong bass signal with superimposed mid/high you get 100Hz modulation of the output (because the supply, which determines the max output level, is modulated).
How can it sound better with more junk on the output signal?

Jan Didden

janneman said:
How can it sound better with more junk on the output signal?

janneman said:
Indeed, but it does nothing for high-level output modulation and the PSRR is less for the higher frequency ripple harmonics. How can that improve the sound?

Indeed it's technically very odd, I know.
I was very sceptic too, before making my first GC.
I made tests with capacitance.
You would have to try it and listen, as these chips are not "politically correct".:D

With regulated PSU, I use small cabs on the chip (33~100uf).
On the output of the LM338 regs there's only a 47nf film cap.
Before the regs it really doesn't make much difference the capacitance you have.
I use 10000uf.
The amp drives speakers that the unregulated low-capacitance one could only dream of.
And with a smaller trafo.

My speakers are not easy to drive, even by good commercial amps.
A friend of mine that sells hi-fi (and high-end) told me once that he didn't sell many Epos 11 (or 12) speakers because, although excellent speakers, it was difficult to pick an amp that goes with them.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
carlosfm said:
Indeed it's technically very odd, I know.
[snip]With regulated PSU, I use small cabs on the chip (33~100uf).
On the output of the LM338 regs there's only a 47nf film cap.
Before the regs it really doesn't make much difference the capacitance you have.
I use 10000uf.
The amp drives speakers that the unregulated low-capacitance one could only dream of.
And with a smaller trafo.[snip]

Yes that makes sense, what can these regs give, 5 amps or so? At the input of the reg you would need just enough capacitance to prevent the reg to drop out at heavy passages, 10kuF sounds OK.

Jan Didden

janneman said:
Yes that makes sense, what can these regs give, 5 amps or so?

Well... sort of.:)
From the datasheet:

"The LM138 series of adjustable 3-terminal positive voltage regulators is capable of supplying in excess of 5A over a 1.2V to 32V output range.
The current limit circuitry allows peak currents of up to 12A to be drawn from the regulator for short periods of time. This allows the LM138 to be used with heavy transient loads and speeds start-up under full-load conditions."

Seams quite good for a class AB amp that plays music.:cool:

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
carlosfm said:

Well... sort of.:)
From the datasheet:

"The LM138 series of adjustable 3-terminal positive voltage regulators is capable of supplying in excess of 5A over a 1.2V to 32V output range.
The current limit circuitry allows peak currents of up to 12A to be drawn from the regulator for short periods of time. This allows the LM138 to be used with heavy transient loads and speeds start-up under full-load conditions."

Seams quite good for a class AB amp that plays music.:cool:

Indeed. 12 amps peak in 4 ohms with a supply of say 50V dc + and -, that's a healthy 200W++. Not bad for an integrated regulator.
Has anybody tried these regulators with a separate external, high speed etc error opamp?

Jan Didden

jamesjung21 said:
I thought 5A is possible only up to 25V....
And then the max current rating drops from 26V...

Where did you see that?
It may have escaped me...
What is important is that VIN-VOUT is less than 10V.
Like on this graph, on page 3 of the datasheet:

Attachments

• lm338 current.png
    lm338 current.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 91
leafster99 said:
Isn't this the same amp at the bottom of this page?: http://www.hilberink.nl/amps/lm3875schema.htm

Now that is a funny read.

That is funny. Hey Karma. They said your amp looks like spaghetti
MMmmmmmmmmmmm, spaghetti :lickface:

well sure i was in a hurry new job and all. heh im a few hundred
away from the first piece of a mark levinson system i have had my eye on.

ware is the marble saw you ordered?

:cloud9:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.