Best audio cap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to know what is the best type of capacitor for audio amps? I am talking about the zobal cap, input cap, etc. I already have the power supply built with 4 3300uf Illinois Capacitor caps per rail and one 0.1uf film cap per rail on the PSU board, and one per rail on the amp board itslef. I also have an AC cap across the power input plug and the power switch.

On the amp, what should I use? Tantalum? Polyester Film? Polystyrine Film? Something else?

And what type of resistor? Metal film? Metal oxide? something else?

BTW, this is going to be a 400W audio amp, using 2 LM3875 amps bridged with transistor outputs (MJ15003/4). It is driving a 12" 8ohm sub.

Thanks for all the help

From what I understand, a mix of metal film and carbon film resistors in the amps gives a more balanced sound. Using metal film alone could be a bit bright.

I also understand that polyester or polystyrene caps (perhaps the latter in particular) have better audio quality than any ordinary electros. With regards to input caps, I have seen Black Gate N 4.7uF used. I don't know what else others are using. (Haven't been paying attention.)

I haven't actually fired up my new amp(s) yet (valve buffered LM3875), but for what it is worth I am trying Black Gate std 1000uF for decoupling, and Caddock feedback and Riken resistors. I also have Solen caps in there. I have put in a zobel by Carlos' recommendation, using carbon film resistors of unknown origin and 0.1uF Black Gate NX caps which I had lying around. I also have 4.7uF Black Gate N's with which I will try bypassing the decoupling caps.

In the PSU I have 1000uF Rubicon ZL on each rail, and 0.1uF ceramics across the AC before the bridge.

Sorry I can't tell you what is "best"; I can only tell you what I am using based on researching what others' opinions are, with a nod towards manufacturers' claims. I have probably spent too much on this amp, but what the hay... it's my amp.

Build and Enjoy!

I think that this topic has been covered on more than a few occassions but here goes.

Film caps are better than electrolytics (including BGs).

In order of preference:
Polystyrene
Polypropylene
Polycarbonate
Polyester

BUT

You can't get film caps with very large capacitance so you have to use electrolytics sometimes.

Polystyrene caps (usually) only come in pF, and nF sizes. Ideal for filters etc.

No cap is always better than any cap but sometimes you just have to have one for a variety of reasons (eg keeping your speakers safe)

Not all capacitors of any type are the same and sound quality can vary according to make and model.

Sometimes, physical size will dicate your choice of cap.

I am thinking of using electrolytics Panasonic FC series Caps after the rectifier dridge at my regulated PSU and other with low capacitance I use Polyester Wima MKS2 series caps. Any comment?

Panasonic FC series is a good one. I would like to recommend you the Rubycon cap. The quality is not different. By another thing, You might try BC component X2 series.

Anyone hear about Rubycon caps, Elna???

I've ever tried Elna cap. It made sound so bad. For me, Elna cap is not good.

cwteoh said:
Do you have any regcomended series in Rubycon? for 4700uF?

Rubicon ZL series possesses extremely good specifications: ultra-low impedance and high ripple, much better than other electro caps I have looked at. The only problem there may be is that 1000uF is the highest in the 50V range.
The highest voltage for the ZL series 4700uF is only 10V.

cwteoh said:
Any suggestion for second choice? Some other Series or other brand like panasonic or BC Component...

Panasonic FC is very good too. If you have them already, you should be happy with them.

Other than that I can't comment, although from what I understand, both BC and Wima are good brands. Nichicon also make good caps. Someone else should be able to help with advice here.

I do have some, these:

4.7 and 10uf non polar radial, .0047 AC caps, .01 polypropylene and 3300uf radial alum. electrolytic. I plan to use the 3300uf caps in the PS, the .01uf in the power suply and amp, and the non polar radials in the amp.

didn't know if anybody has tried them yet to tell me how well they work.

oops, forgot, the AC caps are going to be used across the switch contacts and across the input wires. Or should I connect one from hot to gnd and one from neutral to gnd? or just hot to neutral?

I'll let you know when I try them.

Today I found Panasonic cap FC series 1500uF/25V in a electronics market 5 pcs just 0.10 USD but I'm not sure that if I connect the capacitor 2 pcs by parallel method, they will be able to endurance supplied voltage 35VDC or not. By the theory, I think it can. Please anyone confirm me for the solution.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.