Best audio cap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For Panasonic FC series, if I buy a 1500uF/50V, I must pay 5 USD per one piece, it's so expensive for the suited one. Anyway, I already bought Panasonic cap FC series 470uF/50V for my new gainclone T network and bring them to parallel for getting the capacitance around 1500uF. :D

Quote: Today I found Panasonic cap FC series 1500uF/25V in
electronics market 5 pcs just 0.10 USD but I'm not sure that if I connect the capacitor 2 pcs by parallel method, they will be able to endurance supplied voltage 35VDC or not.

Geng you can hook them in series to stand the voltage, but you will have 1/2 of the capacitance. observe polarity of plus hooked to minus (like batteries in flashlight)

Hi
i have a question:

I will building a regulated PSU for my gainclones.
Is it ok to use caps with higher voltage rating than the rail voltage?

Example: If the rail voltage coming out of the rectifier bridges is + - 28V, can i use 10,000Mfd 80V caps for the regulator circuit, instead of 30V rated caps?

Thanks

Is it ok to use caps with higher voltage rating than the rail voltage?

Two issues. Some fussy people think that elcos sound best operated around 65-80% of rated voltage and after extended use at 28v your caps may not be very safe for use at 80v.

If they are just industial types the sound quality issue may be irrelevant and if you don't foresee use at higher voltages they'll be very reliable at 28v.

I understood that the voltage rating of a capacitor should be 125% of the voltage that it will 'see' across it's terminals.

So, with 28 volt rails that would require caps rated at 35 volts or higher.

I wasn't aware that using caps rated higher than that would cause a problem, other than that they may be physically too large, or much more expensive.

Some fussy people think that elcos sound best operated around 65-80% of rated voltage

Are you saying that there is no problem using 80 volt rated caps with 28 volt rails providing that they are not re-used at higher voltages in another circuit. :att'n:

Nuuk said:
I wasn't aware that using caps rated higher than that would cause a problem, other than that they may be physically too large, or much more expensive.

Are you saying that there is no problem using 80 volt rated caps with 28 volt rails providing that they are not re-used at higher voltages in another circuit. :att'n:

Thank you NUUK.
I am actually using the regulated circuit in your pages as a guide.
:D
Believe is or not, i can get surplus 10,000Mfd 80V Nichicon caps for $3.95, versus Panasonic P10081-ND 50V 10000µF caps for $18.15, which is why i was wondering.

Thanks

Speaking of caps Carlos, what type of caps do you recommend to use as bypass (C8, C9, C12, C13) in your regulated PSU circuit?
Are tantalums ok to use?

Thanks

Attachments

• regulated.psu.gif
    regulated.psu.gif
    13 KB · Views: 893
soundNERD said:
I want to know what is the best type of capacitor for audio amps? I am talking about the zobal cap, input cap, etc. I already have the power supply built with 4 3300uf Illinois Capacitor caps per rail and one 0.1uf film cap per rail on the PSU board, and one per rail on the amp board itslef. I also have an AC cap across the power input plug and the power switch.

In the signal path Teflon and Silver Mica capacitors are the best, but they do come at a high price and sizing may be an issue depending on the application. Teflon capacitors can be hard to source too with only limited production.
More information can be found here http://my.execpc.com/~endlr/

I personally like the new Panasonic PPS caps a lot, not too expensive and very stable.

Enjoy, Richard.

carlosfm said:
I use polyester caps on those positions.
100v rating, or even 63v, smaller but harder to find (at least here).
It's not so common to find tantalums at ratings above 35v, and I don't recommend the use of these.:att'n:

National Semi recommends polypropylene -- see also the Capacitor Distortion thread -- I ordered a bunch of polypropylene caps on Friday, so we will see. I happen to think that the Xicon polyethylene terephthalate caps are pretty good ---

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.