Best audio cap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jackinnj said:
National Semi recommends polypropylene

As PSU bypassing polyester should be fine, although of course poplyprop are better caps.

jackinnj said:
-- see also the Capacitor Distortion thread -- I ordered a bunch of polypropylene caps on Friday, so we will see. I happen to think that the Xicon polyethylene terephthalate caps are pretty good ---

I've read that thread some days ago, very interesting.
Very curious about your findings, although of course it will be hard (and $$$) for you to test all the caps you would like.

jackinnj said:
at least at EPCOS MKP and MFP are polypropylene.

They usually are.
Do you guys have experience with Siemens MKP?
These caps have a vice of removing the highs.:bawling:
Even using a 100nf cap to bypass a bigger one "smooths" the treble no end.
On the signal path, stay clear of these ones.
I didn't have the courage to try them as PSU bypass.
Sincerely, Philips MKT (polyesters) are much better...

carlosfm said:

They usually are.
Do you guys have experience with Siemens MKP?
These caps have a vice of removing the highs.:bawling:
Even using a 100nf cap to bypass a bigger one "smooths" the treble no end.
On the signal path, stay clear of these ones.
I didn't have the courage to try them as PSU bypass.
Sincerely, Philips MKT (polyesters) are much better...

and what analytical method did you use to arrive at this conclusion?

jackinnj said:
and what analytical method did you use to arrive at this conclusion?

I just take a listen and don't like it at all.
I tried 100nf bypass in parallel with 4.7uf poly on the output of a preamp.
Treble smooooths as soon as I put those Siemens MKP.
I also tried Siemens MKP caps on my Epos ES11 speakers (on the tweeters) and transformed a good speaker in a cheap boombox.
Two days after I removed them and put back the original caps.

Treble smooooths as soon as I put those Siemens MKP.

What do these caps look like? I remember i used to use Siemens MKP B32650, blue in colour and they were not really that bad. Then again, it was around 1985 so maybe my tastes have changed a bit :) They were at least as good as WIMA MKP and way better than any MKT. Should i dig them out and give them a listen?

soundNERD said:
How about film, glass, tantalum or Niobium Oxide caps??
Do yourself a favor and keep tantalums out of audio circuits! They are no good for audio signal path and no better for ps use.
'Film' is a generic term for lots of type of dielectrics like polyprop, polystyrene, mylar, etc....
Glass is usually mica and not real glass and is only good for small pF values at high voltages.
I find polystyrene to be the best in values under .1uF and polyprop above that just from my own listening and experimenting.

analog_sa said:
What do these caps look like? I remember i used to use Siemens MKP B32650, blue in colour and they were not really that bad.

A quick google search didn't produce results, a pic would help.
They are rectangular with clear plastic case and the legs are at the sides (the legs are soldered on the extremes of these caps).
I have some that are non-isolated, others have a blue plastic coating on the sides to hold the legs.
On the non-isolated version care is needed when soldering, or the legs fall apart:clown:, and you have to resolder them (recommended, anyway).
Isolated or non-isolated, they are exactly the same caps.
I have a few examples of 2.2uf, 1uf, 0.47uf and plenty of 100nf.

BTW, they don't say Siemens anywhere, but I was told several times that they are Siemens.

The Seimens/ now EPCOS Capacitors discussed are as follows-

1. The clear coated caps described by Carlos appear to be MKT B3256x Uncoated (silvercaps) which are stacked film polyester radial capacitors.
EPCOS also make the MKT B3252x MKT and MFT (mostly) stacked encapsutlated polyester radial caps.
They also makes the MKP 3262x stacked polypropolene encapsulated radial caps.

All of these have very low inductance and might be appropriate for ps bypassing, zoebels, etc....

http://www.epcos.com/web/produkt_katalog/html/film_capacitors_e.html

The ERO/Vishasy caps often discussed for signal path bypass are the MKP1837 metalized polypropolene radial caps and KP1830 polypropolene film and foil radial caps; generally in values of 10 to 22nf....
http://www.vishay.com/capacitors/film/polypropylene/

FWIW

analog_sa said:

I think this construction is called 'stacked film'. I also don't like them. Sure they are MKP?

But that's a polyester type. Siemens stacked film types are only good on a different type than the one Carlosfm described.

The transparent body type was no good, but there's a Siemens type called MKT, blue bodied, which is very good. Panasonic stacked film types are also quite good, at least for bypassing.

For series connection or filter, not many beat polystyrene or polypropylene types.

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.