Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2004, 07:22 PM   #1
dvdwmth is offline dvdwmth  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default cap on speaker causing amp to cut out

I just finished assembling my lm3876 amp and I'm very pleased. At first I had it running on a pair of RS 1187s no problem. Sounded amazing. Then I decided to try it with my tang band w3871s' which have a 100uf 100v cap on them and after about 10 seconds the right channel went silent followed by the left a couple of seconds later. The only thing I could think of that was different between the two speakers was the cap on the Tang bands. When I removed it the problem went away.

Aside from this everything is working flawlessly. No hum, just good sound.

Can anyone tell me what is happening here?

This isn't really a big problem at the moment since I dont really listen that loudly and the speaker seems to be surviving without the protective cap, but my next speaker project is going to be a two way and Im worried the crossover will bring about the same problem.

By the way, I am just assuming that it is the amp cutting out. I dont know why else the signal would cut out but perhaps there is another explaination.

Thanks
Old 12th September 2004, 10:00 PM   #2
markp is offline markp  United States
diyAudio Member

It sounds like you've got the cap in parallel with the speaker and not in series with it. The amp will shut off if you try to drive a pure capacitor load which is what happens if the cap is in parallel with the driver. Look at how its wired up and if you think its right try putting a 4ohm resistor in series and see if it still turns off.

Hide this!Advertise here!