reg psu q - stupid (novice!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi forum.

Hit me if you think it's required - after this question.

I'm still finding electronics confusing as h*ll ;)

My question then, will a regulated psu assist in driving less efficient speakers? Such as 85dB :xeye:

Thanks for reading and to any replies in advance :)

I say yes to reg PS WILL HELP.

I regulated a 100VA transformer and it performed better than a
400 VA transformer with no reg on high demand music.

regulated the AC output on small transformer varied with load but the DC after reg did not

Unregulated large transformer AC output was rock steady but the DC at the chip sagged badly.

However the small transformer with regulation had large PS caps and the chipamps had 47ufd next to them

the large transformer setup had 1500 ufd at the chips.

Sonically the regulated system was superior.

Sheldon D, your post is spot on.:cool:

lazyfly, a low sensitivity speaker doesn't mean it's hard to drive.
That parameter doesn't indicate that by itself.
If the speaker is nominal 8 ohms and doesn't have big impedance dips across the frequency, it will be an easy load for an amp.
It will just play at a lower volume than a very sensitive speaker.
There are very sensitive speakers that are hard to drive and demand power, and this is the reason.

Answering to your question, definitely, the regulated PSU helps alot with difficult speakers.

Well there's a few conflicting answers! The nature of forums I guess :)

Okay how's this then - I want to drive a pair of LSK kit speakers through a GC. It's for my [10 year old] son so the speakers are nothing fancy but will be quite a step up from the tv! It's mainly for his PS2 and a few movies and a wee bit of music. Perhaps this will inspire him to listen to more music and play a few less games!

I really just want to know if the amp will drive them okay. The volume doesn't have to be terribly loud of course but oscillation (which I don't yet quite understand) is my concern. The amp is using a 25+25V 160VA toroid. Havent got the speakers yet.

Here are the speaker specs:

Code:
Nominal (RMS) Power  	50 Watts
Impedance 	        8 Ohms
Frequency Range 	60Hz-20kHz (-3dB)
Sensitivity 	        85dB 1W@1M
Recommended Amplifier 	20W - 80W *
Woofer Material 	Treated coated paper
Woofer Diameter 	104mm
Surround Material 	Low Loss Rubber
Tweeter Material 	Mylar
Dimensions 	        167D*234H*145W mm
Weight 	                2.5 Kg

Wish I knew what defined a ig impedance dip! It looks big but they look like spikes not dips. Ahh the frustration :(

http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com/index.php?page=baseline&kitid=M4&secid=techspecs

the impedance plot for your speaker is actually quite benign.

there are no dips below the 8 ohm nominal till 20KHz

Amps can get into trouble at low impedance lie 2,3,or even 4 ohms.

The GC should have no trouble, though the sensitivity is low which implies higher wattage from the amplifier, I still say that regulating would give you better performance but if the volume is not high and it is in small room, you may not need it.

Thanks SheldenD. So the dip refers to deviation from the rated nominal impedence - 8 Ohm in this case. That makes a bit of sense now.

That they wont go terribly loud is only a good thing re: sanity ;) If a speaker were 88dB and one 85dB does the 85 need twice the power to run at the same volume level? That's oversimplified I'm sure - or just plain wrong.

Thanks again though everyone. This forum is truly full of excellent folks.

p.s I wrote this a while ago and have been attempting to post it to no avail. Anyway now I've time to say Thankyou carlosfm :)

A regulated supply will not make up for low eff. speakers. It will make the amp sound better due to stabilty of the voltages. An unreg powersupply will vary greatly under load and this can change the bias points of the circuit causing all sorts of ugliness, both sonically and electrically. Often a lower powered amp sounds better due to this regulated stabilty even at the point of nearly clipping. I find the most improvement is in the tightness of the bass response(that's where the most power gets used too).

Joined 2002
Paid Member
hi lazyfly,

I just happen to use M4 speakers as my garage/test speakers. All my amps (including GCs) drive them without an apparent problem. :D

Using GCs the volume will still more than adequate to annoy you. Sorry about that.

I do agree with their one tick rating for HiFi Music. They are similar in performance to speakers found in Sony mini mid-fi systems.

Hi grege.

Thanks for that. Especially the volume vs. annoyance part :smash:

I've heard a pair too, through a Yammy 440 amp and would agree with the 1 star also. What I'm curious about is when LSK release their new line of higher quality speakers, what star rating will they get ;)

Still they were designed primarily for computers etc so they'll sound alot better than the tv which is all I'm aiming for at present - just a nice little introduction to good sound. The room is quite small too so that'll help then a bit.

Tempted to go for some M5's just because... just contradicted myself!

Thanks again :)

carlosfm said:

:rolleyes:

:confused:

I see a paradox here...
Gotta go take the medication.:D
As for the efficiency comment, he asked if a reg supply would make up for 85db speakers - the answer is no.
What paradox - a reg supplied amp has more stable bass response than a non-reg supplied amp. It sounds tighter and more controlled. If medication will help you get over yourself, then by all means take it.

:clown:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.