Speaker Recommendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I asked this before but received no suggestions: can anyone recommend a high quality speaker suitable for Gainclones based on BrianGT's PCBs? I am interested in commercial products (not DIY) up to about $600 - $700/pair. I have the money and want to limit my review to the better speakers in that price range, so I'm not interested in off-brand stuff that is hard to find (and audition) or speakers that have never been credibly reviewed.

Your recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Scott

percy said:
The 602 is 90db, 601 is 88db, yet it needs a bigger amp?

Don't look at those simple specs.
All of the are 8 ohms.
The 602 needs a big amp.
I mean, power, current.
That thing has impedance dips to below 3 ohms.:bawling:
Stay clear of this speaker, or you need to bridge/parallel.
This speaker is a stupid thing because although not expensive, you need to spend lots of $$$$ on the amp so that you can listen to it.
Some people say it has horrible, untight bass.
No, it just needs power and current.

The 600 and 601 are much more equilibrated, good speakers, and play with almost everything.
They played very well with an (unregulated) amp I had at the time.
If I were you I would buy any of these and with the rest of the money buy some good cables.

I tested lots of speakers.
I just can't recommend you better than this for the money (and the amp) you have, you would have to spend more and listen carefuly.

:att'n: These B&W speakers take a lot of time to :hot: -in.:att'n:
They don't sound good on the first two weeks, specially the tweeter.

Check this link: http://www.sakurasystems.com/show.html

All those people use amps similar to BrianGT's GC. As you see, driving B&W 802 doesn't present a problem. I have yet to find speakers which are difficult to drive by NIGC. Krell is used here only as the platform for Gaincard.;)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Peter Daniel said:
All those people use amps similar to BrianGT's GC. As you see, driving B&W 802 doesn't present a problem. I have yet to find speakers which are difficult to drive by NIGC. Krell is used here only as the platform for Gaincard.;)

Peter, this is quite puzzling.
Too many people have amps that can't drive their speakers properly.
They only find out when, one day, they upgrade the amp.
To say that a single-chip, unregulated, no zobel (yes, I found this important in many cases) GC drives any speaker is quite amazing.
EDIT: I think the new BrianGT boards have provision for a zobel, right?
Maby just any speaker you have tried.
I would not be surprized that the old 802 is easier to drive than the current 602 S3.
The 602 is hard to drive even for many "good" and $$$ commercial amps.
If you want more details, when I said it has impedance dips to below 3 ohms, I mean that in the bass region it goes to as low as 2.8 ohms.:eek:
In my oppinion, this is a very bad design for a "claimed" 8 ohms speaker.

trigon said:
This is your choice trust me;)
LINN KAN
Trigon

Yes, a very good speaker, I've heard it.
With active crossovers.;)
But this speaker is not cheap, I think it's over the budget.
EDIT:
What I heard was the Linn Katan, sorry for the confusion.
Here:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0601/linnkatansizmik.htm

I agree that the Linn Kans are a great choice. Almost addictive once you hear them. A little light on bass but the reward for that is the bass quality and resultant timing which makes the music flow like very few other speakers.

Still found on Ebay they can be a real bargain! ;)

I have never heard Kans with a GC but would imagine that they are a match made in heaven. :)

carlosfm said:

To say that a single-chip, unregulated, no zobel (yes, I found this important in many cases) GC drives any speaker is quite amazing.
EDIT: I think the new BrianGT boards have provision for a zobel, right?

Maby just any speaker you have tried.

I did not say NIGC drives any speaker.

I indeed said it didn't have problem to drive any speaker I tried. I had only one or two comments from customers who were not happy with the amp driving their speakers.

I tried Zobel again yesterday, on Altecs, and it messes the sound tremenously. I used regular parts for that network (Dale and Wima). Maybe better parts would sound different.

It's been originally suggested that it's better to have lower supply voltage for 4 ohm speakers. It is indeed case if you want to push the amp for the max power, but for regular listening levels (90db speakers) I observed that the amp sounds better with higher voltages. I wouldn't go lower than 34V on rails with ANY impedance speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.