Sound of BrianGT as compared to commercial receivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok lets say "BrianGT NI Glainclone using LM3875" if you like it that way.

Which one? Premium or Basic, Old boards or the new boards?;)

[edit]

Just kidding. Although I have 10 or 12 channels of gainclone at home..(not made an amp with them) I have only heard a BrianGT gainclone on the Dutch DIY2004. It used a CD player as source and Dynaudio Nuance (I think it was) speakers. And it sounded good ..very good. But you'll have a lot less features than a commercial receiver (Are you looking for 5.1 or normal 2 channel by the way?) And a similar price if you take into account...transformers/enclosure/volume pot/binding posts etc, etc. But then again...the gainclone is all about good sound.

I was wondering whether it would be worth doing a 5.1 with this gainclone. I am willing to sacrifice the features if it gives me better sound for the same price.
The transformers do bump up the cost considerably when you are thinking seperate supplies for each channels.

I cant comment on the original question since I havn't heard any entry level recievers in decent conditions, but Im very curious to know what you will be using as a surround processor.

The cheapest amp with pre-outs I've been able to find is about $700 Canadian, the cheapest preamp in the thousands, and the only other option I could think of was to use a 5.1 sound card, which I believe has pre-outs, but that involves using a computer for a source which is a whole other ball of wax.

A philips 963SA. Look up some reviews and you'll find that it really has very good DAC's. There are enough possibilities to fine tune your setup (cut off sub frequency, individual level of all speakers etc.). It only misses a way to adjust the overall volume, which is a real pity. Hence my need for an external rotary switch solution.

Is there somebody out there who has more info on my earilier question about the power supply of a 5.1 gainclone setup? I would prefer a single big trafo (it's cheaper I guess) but don't know if this is a possibility and the possible disadvantages.

well i used protel too, but cant figure how do the vias.. and corner the Polygon Planes.

just take a look of the img where i mark the stuff that cant figure how to do it :D

(maybe someone can help me)

Attachments

• braingt-lm3875-pcb.jpg
    braingt-lm3875-pcb.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 201
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.