Blew my first Chip ..Oops Help not doing it again? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2004, 11:55 PM   #1
Adam M. is offline Adam M.  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Blew my first Chip ..Oops Help not doing it again?

It was no fault of the chip, it did its job, I messed up. I put the output wires down to pick up a speaker while the thing was on, they shorted, and in a couple seconds I had a lm3886 minus the power supply pins and a nice lightshow. Now I gotta go order another chip!

How do I protect against this besides the very obvious of don't do it?
Old 4th September 2004, 12:00 AM   #2
Vikash is offline Vikash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I can't see why you would want to look past the obvious?

I know the LM's have built in protection but it appears it won't ■rotect against a short circuit on the output if you say there was a light show...
"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)
Old 4th September 2004, 12:21 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I think what I would like is for a fuse to act as a fuse, instead of the power pins acting like a fuse. would fuses on the rails blow a fuse instead of a chip if this happens again?

I got to protect the amp from myself. :-) its defensless.

THe light show was actually pretty cool, if it were safer and I wouldn't lose another chip, I'd do it again. (well, probably not...)
Old 4th September 2004, 12:23 AM   #4
johnnyx is offline johnnyx  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm surprised - they seem rugged to me. I was looking at the numbers on a chip amp in a commercial unit, and had to remove a metal plate that held the chip to the heatsink. When I re-fitted the metal plate, it slipped through my fingers and shorted several pins. There were sparks and crackling sounds, The amp was still switched on

Well, I thought I'd killed it. But no, it worked perfectly afterwards.

I have found to my cost that shorts between output and ground are protected, but shorts between output and supply rails are destructive.

Maybe the output short was not your only problem.
Old 4th September 2004, 12:28 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The amp actually worked before I shorted the outputs, I had it hooked up with alligator clips to a junk speaker before i went to get wire to hook it up to the junk speaker when I crossed the outputs. It was prolonged, probably shorted for 3 or 4 seconds before I pulled the plug
Old 4th September 2004, 08:57 AM   #6
Franz G is offline Franz G  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

This chips are safe for a short circuit between the output and the ground: they heat up quickly and then the thermal protection begins to work (periodically shutting down the chip).

Must be another short circuit.

One way out of the dilemma: no alligator clips, use a pcb or an experimental board.

Dont use fuses on the rail (better regulate the psu with LM338 a la Carlos FM, then you get some current limiting)

Franz
Old 4th September 2004, 10:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Interesting on the output protection... Do you have any idea what could have been shorted? There were only 2 clips in the circuit, they were cipped to binding posts on the back of the chassis bevause I didn't have plain wire right next to me when I was testing it. I have found a second problem, I have a 60Hz hum, which I can't figure out, but that'll be another thread.
Old 6th September 2004, 09:09 AM   #8
ir is offline ir  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to ir
i've shorted outputs weith no worries. also shorted the power supply pins wihtout worries (64V at 6 amps is nothing). i even mangaed to short something to ground that really shouldn't have been shoted to ground.

i was using a razor blade to remove excess thermal compound from around the chip mounted to the heatisnk, of course the insulated packages actually havea few exposed points on the sides ot the case. anyweays, i didn't realise the amp was powered on, slide the razor up the side. BZZZZZZT flash, pop, click. then a few minutes later, it was all working fine again

National chips are pretty indestructable really
Old 6th September 2004, 10:00 AM   #9
Franz G is offline Franz G  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

I did the same: cut some mica with a swiss knife, while the amp was playing.

This is the result, some erosion (chip still working O.K.):

Click the image to open in full size.

Franz
Old 6th September 2004, 10:25 AM   #10
Vikash is offline Vikash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

A 750 pixel wide 160kb image to show a tip of a blade.

"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)

Hide this!Advertise here!