Difference between BrianGT basic and premium?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It was just his opinion - take it or leave it. I think it's highly distasteful to insinuate that Peter is trying to profit by providing his opinion. If you read more of his posts you would know how much of an asset he his to this forum, whereas all you seem to do is criticise.

Have you built both? No one here is arguing about the well known law of diminshing returns here, or how other changes may show bigger improvements. But the question was simply about the two kits.

Lazyfly, I have just completed building two amps with basic and premium components which I will hopefully AB test this week.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
hey geewhizbang,

To summarise you're responses.

lazyfly said
Is there a major difference in sound between the two?

You said: No

lazyfly said
Has there been any AB testing?

You said: I haven't done any.

lazyfly said
I'm tempted to get a couple of premiums and a basic to see but was after a wee bit of feedback first.

You said: If you can afford it, that would be a good idea, I'd be interested in your opinions.

That will be kewl to see what you find.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Peter, but I don't like his tendency to pile on expensive components (including nonsensical things like brass feet on amps) and claim that they sound better, but we never get any specifics why or how, other than mentioning "listening tests" that appear to be done in a way rather likely to get a psychoacoustic result.

He is also a big proponent of expensive interconnects, and as for myself I can understand how $20-40 nice cables could be somewhat better than the flimsy poorly shielded $6.00 ones, but I don't get how spending vastly more is going to make much of a difference.

Not all of us have the money to afford that kind of snobbery, especially if it doesn't actually make a difference.

Hi Vikash.

I look forward to hearing your opinions of each in comparison.

I might clarify that though there is a fair increase in price between the two kits and no one as yet has really said if the premium is worth the extra, cost wasn't why I'd asked - at all

The reason for asking was far more innocent. As everyone hear knows you can have two different amps, same cost one more expensive or whatever. Amp A sounds tighter, faster and has slightly better soundstaging ad infinitum... Amp B: isn't sonically as defined both in terms of speed and soundstage but it's benefit is that it's perhaps a little easier to listen to over long periods.

This is what I was wondering about the two kits - not whether one is worth it over the other but whether they sound distinct enough that they almost sound different.

I'm sure I read Peter Daniel saying such a thing between panasonics and black gates and wondered if as a whole there was a marked difference that isn't bad but just different.

Cheers

gewhizbang

From what I have read in this forums Peter doesn't try to up-sell the kits. The difference in the quality may not be noticed to all. But either does the wire quality or for that matter a lot of other things, my girlfriend can't tell if one speaker is out of phase. The kits being offered in more then one form basic, and premium. This gives the builder the choice. I defiantly believe higher grade components will make for a more stable and better sound. If you don't think their is a benefit going with higher grade parts maybe you should be writing the manufactures that are charging more $ for them to begin with. Even know I haven't bought a premium kit yet, I don't believe he makes much if any extra profit from the upgrade. After all of the upgraded components come at a higher price. From what I have seen on the prices of kits, Brain and Peter are charging a fair price for their kits and they seem to give forum users A LOT of free advice. I don't know if I would be able to here a difference. I started to look at this thread for what it was posted for "'Difference between BrianGT basic and premium" and to read what the difference was. I expected the input on it to be mostly from people that built or herd both amps! Preferably with the same setup. (speaker and power supply). Peter, I would assume has done that. This makes his input worthy of listening to.

lazyfly said:
...but whether they sound distinct enough that they almost sound different.
In which case I would guess no. I would expect any difference to be subtle, and that's if you have the ears to pick it up, and other equipment in the chain with good enough resolution to display it. I was straining to hear the difference between the basic kit and a relatively different type of amp (Denon AV).

I should mention that I've also added the BG 1000uf to the premim kit. You still may not get what you're looking for from my tests :rolleyes:

Hi Vikash.

You've answered my question exactly as it was asked so I did get what I was after.

Okay so they're the same amp with subtle differences between the two that most casual listeners wouldn't pick up on - probably including myself. Cool! This is what I wanted to know :)

That there is a premium kit is definately a GOOD THING. Giving us the choice to go with something a little more swish than the stock 4 door sedan. The upgrade has leather trim, air con and fuel injection. Choice is good.

I have a premium kit setup and am getting more (when I get my butt into gear) and wondered if a basic was worth it, just because.

:D

*edit - that this momentarily turned into a pseudo-slinging match is unfortunate. And not to jump to anyones defence as they don't need it I'd add that some good points were made all round. That a premium kit is offered doesn't force us to buy it. It's simply a choice and a nice one to have. That Peter is a proponent of high quality cables or what have you is fine too, that's his choice as is ours to agree or not.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.