Suitable chip for 12 volt indoor supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Charles;

<my apologies for straying OT from chipamps to one and all>

Thanks for posting that link. It's a very interesting read on driver design, particularly the section on internal resonance sources in construction. I'd never thought about the physical difference between a ferrite mag and an alnico one in this way, but given the sonic effects of a little felt pad on the back of a ferrite magnet, I do believe you're onto something (maybe the felt pad helps dampen ringing in the ferrite mag that's being pumped by the resonance mode of the internal cavity.....).

Perhaps the most important single observation though, is that most modern drivers are not designed by ear, but are designed by specifications that don't really correspond well with how things sound. That comports well with my own beliefs and it alone goes far to explain why I've had so much success with moderate powered amps of simple construction mated to moderate cost speakers of "traditional" design (i.e. paper VC formers and cones). Eliminating the design compromises necessary for high wattage amplification also eliminates the sonic compromises they necessitate. And, as I pointed out in a thread in a different board, it seems that designers these days are putting too much emphasis on things we can't hear (treble into the ultrasonic when most of us "over '40's" can't hear a 15kcps flyback trannie in their TV sets anymore) while ignoring things we can hear (like proper midrange).

All the best,
Morse

From the BYOB site :

" The BYOB amp sports 2 x 10 W into 8 Ohm respectively
2 x 20 W into 4 Ohm and even more into 2 Ohm. This
high power-level is achieved through bridged operation.
That means, both channels are internally bridged by design. "

...and power supply voltage is 12V....

Are we talking about some of the TDA stereo bridged car amp chips ?

Regards;
Matjaz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.