my regulator pcb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
rabstg said:
Hi Zang-

In post # 2 you have a picture of the regulator board "with" regulator installed.

What component is that?

I ordered the LM338 regs to build mine but I think they are to-220 package, and the one in your picture looks like TO-3P or TO-247.

If it is the 108x chips why is that one so much larger yet not handle as much current as the 338?

Which chip do you recommend for the highest steady current draw? No worries on heat, I will have plenty of heat sinking.

Sorry to ask such a simple question, but I just have a hard time believing that the little TO-220 chip handles more current than the bigger 108x chips.

PS- I have at least 5 prs of your regulator boards and I need to get them finished but want to drop in the best part...

i'm Also interested in this reply..

J'

rabstg said:
In post # 2 you have a picture of the regulator board "with" regulator installed.

What component is that?

I ordered the LM338 regs to build mine but I think they are to-220 package, and the one in your picture looks like TO-3P or TO-247.

If it is the 108x chips why is that one so much larger yet not handle as much current as the 338?

the component is TO-3P packaged LT1083CP-5,7.5A regulator.

DATASHEET link

a useful article LINK by a HKdiyer.

Which chip do you recommend for the highest steady current draw? No worries on heat, I will have plenty of heat sinking.

Sorry to ask such a simple question, but I just have a hard time believing that the little TO-220 chip handles more current than the bigger 108x chips.

PS- I have at least 5 prs of your regulator boards and I need to get them finished but want to drop in the best part...

unfortunately,I have not a chance to try LM338.because here is not TO220 packaged at local,only TO-3.

I have tested my board with LM1083 for power amp and with LM317 for ZEN headamp,they work fine:)the only thing is LT1083 too expensive,$8.6 per one at beijing~ :eek:

I am looking forward to your result with 338 regulators...FYI,moving_electron have build a regulated LM3886 IGC with 338chips.

-Z

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.