Possible GC layout?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi forum.

Please don't be to critical! Just wondering if any of you experienced folk can see any major drawbacks with this layout?

Selector switch will be on the rca socket side tucked in behind the heatsink with the volume pot on the opposite side. It's a gift for my son :)

The chassis is boring but it wasn't overly expensive nor large and should be fairly rugged (he's a ten year old so anything can happen.)

v+ v- etc will run from the psu to the side then along the panel to the rear then to the boards.

Thanks to Brian & Peter for their efforts in the kit - excellent quality that surpasses any type of kits I've seen in stores before. It certainly exceeded my expectations.

TIA :D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Looks fine to me, though you will want to put the selector and volume as near to the inputs as possible, and the power lines as far from them as you can. Twisting the power lines helps to reduce noise as well, and if you have to run signal and power lines closely, try to make sure they are at right angles.

If you could make a little bracket to hold the selector switch and volume pot to the heatsink, (on the extreme left of your bottom photo), that should just about be perfect!

Good luck, and keep us updated with progress! :)

Hi-jacking the thread :)

Hi pinkmouse.

Thanks for the reply and input. When I said the selector would be tucked in behind the heatsink I meant that it would be on the flat side of the sink (amp board side) then a extension shaft would run to the front. The '+ - & ground' from the sel would fling under the amp boards to the vol pot which would be on the opposite side but as you point out that's rather close to the mains :bawling:

Always something to learn which is half the fun.

They'll be mounted on brackets as you suggest, though, so I got that part right :D

Mr Evil.

In the bottom pic where the rear panel mounts to the chassis you can almost make out 3 solder lugs between the banana sockets but neither the boards or mains ground are wired up yet ;)

*edit (re: thread hi-jack) After finally figuring out what the h*ll to do with a selector switch is there any reason why connecting a + rca ground to the - rca ground then to the selector 'in' ground? Sort of daisychaining + to - to 'in'? like the grey, white and yellow lines...

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
If you could bear to drill a hole in that great heatsink, then you could mount the pot on the opposite side to the traffo, and just use an extension to get to the front panel. That would give you just about the shortest cable runs possible! :)

Stick with the selector as near as the inputs as possible to avoid running too much cable. You can star all the input grounds, no need to run them to the input selector unless you really want to.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.