Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th August 2004, 09:37 PM   #1
Adam M. is offline Adam M.  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Strange distortion problem

I am running an LM3886 per national's spec sheet with +-37v rails, 10,000uf cap per rail.

I have a slightly odd problem... anytime I get an output signal larger than 2v, I start hearing static through the speaker. Its not terribly smooth either, about 1.8 or 1.9v I can hear distortion, and then at 2v comes static.

I have the power coming into the chip via alligator clips from the transformer for now, and the ground leads of the capacitor also connect to the 0v point on the transformer, which I use as power star ground.

I have a short wire soldered to the ground pin on the chip, the mute pin is soldered to the bare end of the wire, and alligator clips from the -input and power ground both connect here as tightly as possible. I have tried an input through a pot and direct, my source is a wavetek signal generator.

DC offset is .045v

I don't have a scope to look at the output unfortanately...

Any ideas on what would cause this?

THanks,
Adam
Old 20th August 2004, 09:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Strange distortion problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam M.

I have a short wire soldered to the ground pin on the chip, the mute pin is soldered to the bare end of the wire, and alligator clips from the -input and power ground both connect here as tightly as possible.
There should be a resistor, and preferably a bypass cap, between mute pin and -V.

Carlos
Old 20th August 2004, 09:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have a 47k resistor between mute and ground, forgot to mention it. no bypass cap though. Would that cause the problem I am seeing, if so what value would you suggest?
Old 20th August 2004, 09:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The mute resistor must go to V-, it is there to bias the input stage. See the chip's internal diagram in the data sheet. Not having the input stage bias would explain the problem.

Jan Didden
Old 20th August 2004, 10:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I mis-spoke in the earlier post, I have mute going to v-, through the 47k resistor...to be specific I have the mute resistor soldered to the -Vin pin of the chip. The resistor I have to ground comes from the inverting input. (I made the mute resistor to ground mistake earlier and that caused 2 days of frustration trying to figure out it wouldn't work) THanks for the response though, this resource has been very valuable.
Old 20th August 2004, 10:10 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Adam,

The best you can do at this point is to sketch a diagram from your construction (don't look at the data sheet!) scan it and post it. We've all been down that road. Chances are you find the problem even before you finish the sketch.

Jan Didden
Old 20th August 2004, 11:27 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Attached is a .gif of the circuit drawn directly from the chip itself.
Attached Images
File Type: gif lm38862.gif (8.4 KB, 84 views)
Old 20th August 2004, 11:44 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hmm. looks OK. Not having a cap in the feedback loop explains the offset, but it's not too bad. Are you sure the supply voltages at the chip are OK?

jan Didden
Old 21st August 2004, 12:38 AM   #9
hughmon is offline hughmon  United States
diyAudio Member

One possibility that comes to mind is an amplitude dependent oscillation. Basically as the output signal goes up, at some amplitude it reaches a sufficient magnitude to feedback to the input and osc. occurs. This tends to be a layout kind of thing, but can be bandaided with a capacitor to ground at the non-inverting input (if interested, try a 470pF cap to start with). Sometimes a 100 ohm resistor is needed between the actual input pin of the chip and the node of the cap and input resistor. Don't know if this will help or not, but it's what I'd try at this point.
Old 21st August 2004, 03:32 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Jan, I have tested the voltages on the power supply with reference to 0V at the middle of the transformer secondaries, and I get +-37.2V within a small margin on each rail, I checked this with the chip off before I hooked it up to make sure it was ok, and again with the chip in place. I have not checked the current it delivers.

hughmon, I'll give the cap from non-inverting input to ground a try and see if that helps.

Thank you for your time. If after some more troubleshooting I can't get it to work, I'll grab a digital camera and post a picture of the layout.

Hide this!Advertise here!