Sound quality: LM4780 vs LM3886

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MWP said:
Simple question.... which one sounds better?
LM4780 or the LM3886?

That's not simple... :)

I have built plenty of chip amps but I can't say which one is better than which. For every single chip there are many possible implementations and setups.

But I dare to say that LM1875 is sheet. Golden eared fellows should be able to disqualify this cheap from the other chips mentioned above :devilr:

In my implementation of LM4780 and LM3886, I enjoyed the LM4780 a lot more.

Lars Clausen said:
Take a look on this site: http://www.elmatrd.ro/amplificatoare.html

If you want to experiment with chip amplifiers, the romanian company seem to have some good offers. For example the 2x40W kit is just 9$.

1 million Romanian money = 30$

And what about the 1 x 100 W kit with 2N3442 for just 9$. Incredibly cheap! Did anyone try this stuff?

Lars :)

That 100W amp is just £4.80! OK it looks really cheap, but the design looks pretty good (certainly could have made it less parts). Would be great for a sub amp. Wonder how much shipping to England is...

Joined 2004
Paid Member
i have a couple of these 4780s here, and wanted to build some amps with them (using them as stereo, not bridged, parallel, etc). the problem is the pin spacing. have you guys used them point to point? i ask, as they don't fit standard perf-board spacing. i'm not scared of point to point (having used that exclusively in tube amps i've built, and other gainclones)...i just don't want to ruin the chips if it is impossible. if not...is the only option making pcbs?

any help would be appreciated!!

ps. sorry to "threadjack"...but it seemed as good a place as any :D

Joined 2004
Paid Member
carlosfm said:

Yes they do, I've done that.
With a little care and love everything is possible.:cool:

man carlos...i'm not sure where you get your perfboard...but the stuff i have isn't even close. of course...if by "care and love" you mean bending the pins to fit...than sure :D at that point...i'd rather just do p2p

Peter Daniel said:

I did and it worked fine;)

ok...guess i'll have at it then!! did you cut off the NC pins to make it easier?

enochRoot said:
i have a couple of these 4780s here, and wanted to build some amps with them (using them as stereo, not bridged, parallel, etc). the problem is the pin spacing. have you guys used them point to point? i ask, as they don't fit standard perf-board spacing. i'm not scared of point to point (having used that exclusively in tube amps i've built, and other gainclones)...i just don't want to ruin the chips if it is impossible. if not...is the only option making pcbs?

I had to enlarge some of the holes on my perfboard and bend the pins a little to get the chip to fit in properly.

Cutting off the NC pins helps. But on the smaller chips it may weaken the chip to board connection too much. So add some standoffs or something.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.