IS this the cheapest and best amp in the world based on its performance and price? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2004, 09:29 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default IS this the cheapest and best amp in the world based on its performance and price?

Hi guys i would really appreciate help from anyone with this matter,

I did post this issue not long ago on the site except it was a DSE A2760 Stereo amp which appears to me now to have been originally created by Koda Electronics.

I was wondering if anyone has used the Koda amp below and if they have can tell me whether it is worth buying for under $200 AUS based on its performance and what its advantages and disadvantages are.

The original version od the amp

This is the rebadged version from Dick SMith
The DSE version of the amp
Old 16th August 2004, 09:35 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I seriously doubt it.
Old 16th August 2004, 09:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Have you tested this amp before Brett?

Can you think of anything cheaper than it apart from kits...Which actually sounds good?

I have heard rave reviews from theloudspeakerkit.com, overclockers.com.au and other places saying that for this price it is a steal and that it actually outperforms many amps/recievers which are many times its price.

Please,
tell me if you have experience with this amp.

Thanks
Old 16th August 2004, 09:50 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brett
I seriously doubt it.
I agree... I normally avoid any manufacturer who prefers to state the PMPO power rating of their product...!

It might be a cheap source of useful parts though!!! You could possibly re-use the case, transformer, heatsink volume control and selector switches, and then you just need a kit from BrianGT!
Old 16th August 2004, 10:08 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi,

You're only 15...so it's best if you start building or designing
you own amp. It's easy. In another 15 years you'll thank me!
My 1st diy amp was a Dick Smith 100w guitar power amp using
the venerable pair 2n3055/2955.
Now I'm retiring as a musician, go back to my own country, and
I'm able to build power amps to rent out in public address
systems.

Efren
Old 16th August 2004, 10:21 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi,

The only reason i have not decided to build my own amp is because i do not really have any electronics experience and i have read that it can be dangerous.

If it is really not that hard (i like a challenge) then i may just give it a go althoguh do you believe that it would perform adequately compared to the DSE/KODA one?

And would the amp kit end up costing me more than what i would pay for the DSE/KODA amp which would probably be around $100-140 AUD.

Also do these amp kits come in a box and with a heatsink or any other needed parts?

Maybe i will try both alternatives as for just over $100 AUD, i'm sure that the DSE amp would be value for money especially if others have thought that it is the best amp around which is under $200 AUD.

Thanks
Old 16th August 2004, 11:00 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

You started this thread with " IS this the cheapest and best amp in the world based on its performance and price?" and I said I seriously doubt it. It's a huge statement, and I have LOTS of experience with audio gear, and my comment is based upon that hard won experience. Specs mean nothing, and as BlackDog points out, any manufacturer that posts PMPO's is almost certainly FOS. Look at all the 1000W!!!! computer speakers you see advertised with a chintzy little chip amp in them capable of a couple of watts RMS max.

I don't need to test it, and the opinion of a review on overclockers has no credibility with me either. These days DS usually sell crap, and it seems to be only through some divine intervention that a decent product gets throught thier screening process.

There are planty of good second hand amps out there that sound good, are reliable and even easily tweaked when you have the resources. The Rotel RA8xx series, some of the NADs, some Marantzes and Pioneers off the top of my head. My office system uses a cheap Sherwood receiver that actually sounds OK (not good, but not icepicks-in-the-ears bad, and is better on the JBL dynamics it powers) even on my big horn system.

Maybe you should start a thread on what good preloved integrated amps are available in your price range.
Old 17th August 2004, 02:54 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Wonderchild,

I understand you. It used to be that there were lots of books
on audio circuit building; maybe you'll still find them in libraries.
Old electronics magazines, specially, are helpfull. A small book
by Oleksy is complete and the math is very simple. Books by
Penfold, JH Hood, are also good. The early Malvino books will
get you deeper into theory but still the math is highschool level.
You can actually build power amp using 1.5 or 9 volt batteries
as a safe start; Your Walkman uses 1.5V cells.
Power amps drive headphones and speakers, and CD players
and guitars can directly work with power amps. With mics you
need pre-amplifiers because of their low output. However,
pre-amps are even easier to design than PA, power amps.
Simple math is all that's needed. This is practical electronics.
Design, build, test/listen, & redesign until your neighbors
say, 'Turn it down, it's too loud!'
High-end audio? You can beat them by building your own and
save hundreds of $!

Efren
Old 17th August 2004, 06:19 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE IS this the cheapest and best amp in the world based on its performance and price?" and I said I seriously doubt it. It's a huge statement, and I have LOTS of experience with audio gear, and my comment is based upon that hard won experience.

I don't need to test it, and the opinion of a review on overclockers has no credibility with me either. These days DS usually sell crap, and it seems to be only through some divine intervention that a decent product gets throught thier screening process. [/QUOTE]

I do find your points valid, although i believe that not only should you judge it once you have heard it but should not necessarily look just at whether the creator has included certain specs.

I personally believe it is a single handed way of eliminating half the worlds entire population of speakers, amps, etc. as many creators do the same, although once you listen to them would realise the high standard of performance in many cases.

I do agree the DSE A2760 is not as good as some more expensive amps but i do believe at under $200 AUS there is not much else which could rival it for its price and performance based on price.

If there really is an amp which is under $200 and comes close to the performance of this amp (based on its price) then i'm sure that not only i would like to know but many 1000's of people would like to know.

Remember the point at hand here is "is this the cheapest amp in the world based on its price and performance" not is it better than a Yamaha or Denon, MARANTZ OR an amp kit.

So quite simply that means is there a cheaper amp out there which performs better than the DSE A2760 based on its cheap price of under $200?

Well i don't think so
Old 17th August 2004, 06:29 AM   #10
Franz G is offline Franz G  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Remember the point at hand here is "is this the cheapest amp in the world based on its price and performance" not is it better than a Yamaha or Denon, MARANTZ OR an amp kit.

So quite simply that means is there a cheaper amp out there which performs better than the DSE A2760 based on its cheap price of under $200?
Yes: second hand Denon, NAD, Marantz or or or...

Franz

Hide this!Advertise here!