Current chip favorite ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've built an lm1875 amp and am very happy with it. I built it on perfboard so I'm thinking of getting a kit and building another one with a printed circuit board. At the same time I'd like something one notch louder.

Is there another chip that is louder but has the same low distortion characteristics ? I'm more interested in very low distortion rates than wattage.

Looking for opinions before I get started.

Thanks

LM3875 and LM3886 are the favorites.

3886 has a fair bit more power.

I was originally planning on using the 75 but a lot of people are saying theres not much difference in quality, so im switching to the 86.

Couldnt tell a difference in the prototypes I made.

soundNERD said:
which ti chip puts out more wattage? the 548 or 549?

about the best chip... the opa549. great bass, low distortion, and decent clarity. The 3875 is second, not the 3886 since its got that stupid mute thing that messes with the sound and needs more parts. I think the 3875 sounds much better.

Do you know why the OPA549 costs so much more than nationals chips?

Yeah that mute thing looks annoying..

thx

I built 2 regulated supplies for my LM1875 amp,but broke a lead off one of the chips again,so I hooked the OPA549 up again.I originally used this chip with the "standard" power supply with a pair of 1500uf on each chip.In comparison to the LM1875 it sounded awful,with a LOT of hum.With the regulated supply the hum is completely gone.With the zobel at the output also,it now sounds better than the LM1875 with the standard supply.Big improvement overall with the regulated supplies.Try it!

mrskinny said:
I built 2 regulated supplies for my LM1875 amp,but broke a lead off one of the chips again,so I hooked the OPA549 up again.I originally used this chip with the "standard" power supply with a pair of 1500uf on each chip.In comparison to the LM1875 it sounded awful,with a LOT of hum.With the regulated supply the hum is completely gone.With the zobel at the output also,it now sounds better than the LM1875 with the standard supply.Big improvement overall with the regulated supplies.Try it!

i used the opa549 chip with a standard supply (but with 6800uf caps) and had no hum problems . opa549 got bad psrr maybe thats why the hum is gone with a regulated supply

right now i'm making bridged opa549 amp with regulated supply
the regulated supply will be made also by opa549 :D

soundNERD said:
which ti chip puts out more wattage? the 548 or 549?

about the best chip... the opa549. great bass, low distortion, and decent clarity. The 3875 is second, not the 3886 since its got that stupid mute thing that messes with the sound and needs more parts. I think the 3875 sounds much better.

Then I wonder why Jeff Rowland, who can pick any chip he wants, went for the 3886 on his design. Why didn't he pick the 549 or the 3875?

Maybe implementation is the thing, and I think as long you do that well there won't be too many differences between the chips. Then it might be a question of preference, as many people prefer certain valves over others or certain output transistors over others. But I don't think that difference should be gross. If it is you are doing something wrong.

Carlos E. Martinez

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.