Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2003, 01:54 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Would you be interested in a BPA-200 kit?

I was thinking about making a kit for the BPA-200 design. For those who aren't familiar, it uses the National LM3886 power amplifier IC's in a bridged-paralleled configuration to produce 200 watts into 8 ohms. The plan is to make a very high quality double sided PC board, and to include a suitable heatsink and all components with the kit. You would have to supply the power supply and a suitable case and hardware. I will most likely modify the circuit to include balanced or single-ended inputs, and possibly other opamps for the input buffer/s or servos.
At this point, this is only conceptual. I'm just trying to get a feel as to how many people would be interested in such a kit. Please offer any suggestions or criticism, as this will help me decide if it's worth doing, and how to implement it if it is.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 26th November 2003, 01:58 PM   #2
UrSv is offline UrSv  Sweden
diyAudio Member

You mean something like this:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...348#post223348
Old 26th November 2003, 09:52 PM   #3
avenger is offline avenger  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi sure, that would be great. Can you share with us your findings if any in regard to this topology since in my oppinion looks like this issue of bridging/paralleling configuration is like black magic....some get it to work great while others seem to get inconsistent results. Will it be with the servos or very basic (which seems to work good for some)? Please let us know. I believe you will get a great response to this project, and me in particular, I will be very interested in the PCB only option. Please keep us posted.
Old 1st December 2003, 01:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies...
Yes, I understand that there are other implementations available for this amplifier.
I will be experimenting with different configurations and doing extensive prototyping before designing the pcb for the project. I tend to like the most simple implementation possible, but as you said there are some stability issues with this topology. It will most likely have the servos. The idea is to make the design as easy to build as possible, so that anyone who can solder can assemble it. This will mean complete and detailed instructions, parts lists, suggested power supply, etc.
Old 1st December 2003, 02:56 PM   #5
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

I think Thomas Madsen has succeeded quite well in in doing a simple 200 W amp. Can it be much simplier? OK, you can remove the DC-servos and the balanced option, but besides that? One thing maybe, using standing LM3886TF.
Old 1st December 2003, 04:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders
I think Thomas Madsen has succeeded quite well in in doing a simple 200 W amp. Can it be much simplier? OK, you can remove the DC-servos and the balanced option, but besides that? One thing maybe, using standing LM3886TF.
Yes, I understand that Thomas has a nice kit available.
My circuit and implementation will be different.
Also, as I am in the US, it will be easier for Canadians and people from the US to buy (no overseas shipping).
Old 1st December 2003, 04:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I for one would like a PCB.
Old 1st December 2003, 05:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I am going to go ahead with this. I hope to have it ready early next year (jan, feb. 2004). Thanks for the replies.
Old 1st December 2003, 06:01 PM   #9
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

If you want, please keep us informed about your progress. I'll guess that you already have seen my Ultra universal Gainclone. Feel free to steal anything from me.

BTW: I'm amazed that Fred hasn't complained yet about your "commercial" movements.
Old 3rd December 2003, 02:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the offer. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. Maybe it's not a DIYaudio crime until I actually have something for sale?

Hide this!Advertise here!