Which audio buffer design is the best for Gainclone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got many sample ICs from TI, OPA604, OPA627, OPA637, BUF634P, NE5532 and OPA2134. Now I'm planning to do some audio buffer for my Gainclone both NIGC and IGC. I have searched in this website to find out some schematics and got a Carlos's design for the web. I have made the PCB for testing and will be got it on this Saturday. Could the members in this website advise me which design is the best for Gainclone?

For me, I think tube price is expensive than opamp and in currently, a few tube manufactories are still producing and very a good tube is so expensive too. By another way, Opamp is so easy to find and not too expensive. However, I have a plan to make a audio buffer by 6922 as soon as possible. :D .... after I have finished the audio buffer by opamp.

If you already have the opamps, the OPA627 is the best no doubt plus maybe with an BUF634, especially in you have an inverting gainclone with a rather low value of the input resistor.

If the price matters, OPA134, 2134 is probably the best in your list. If you can chose freely you have tons of good opamps!

I myself have chosen AD8620 but it comes only in surface mounted package.

More info here.

The opa627 is in fact a very good opamp. Actually, I run this testconfiguration, converted temporarly out of one of my EL84 monoblocks:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Absolutely great sound: driving a single end tube by an practically errorless opamp!

I must do some tuning (overall feedback from the secondary side of the OT to the inverted input), enhance gain from the opamp a little bit.

Actually, this circuit shows a little bit overswing, wich must be from the output transformer.

Franz

P.S.
The input poti is a fostex "black beauty" attenuator, out of an defective PA-Fostex amp from the fleamarket. There where two of this famous things inside this amp, so I have two monoblocks running with this nice parts at the input and spent just some cents...

I want to learn, how to make this quotes...

The Ub of the EL84 is 314V.

The testarrangment looks horrible like this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This are some EL84 SE, showing (without feedback) the same overswing in the tube driven version. The schematics of the tube amp comes frome here (scroll down):

http://www.audiokit.it/ITAENG/KitElettr/KIOM/Giochino/Giochino.htm

I use the very good and cheap trafos from

www.roehrentechnik.de

Franz

P.S.
Imagine, what this circuit opens for new dimensions, in tweaking: just open your cd-player, replace the output opamp by an very good opamp, give hime some gain (cut one trace and put in one resistor) and add at the output an EL84 tube, or a 6V6 or...

carlosfm,
I am build your GC AMP which you provide on the forum with regulated PSU & buffered inverted GC. But I am not very sure about those components spec., could you please guide me on those spec. I really need the list of components. I want to start DIYing it as soon as possible.

I just want to build the best GC for my ear.:confused:

Thanks.

Tomorrow, I will get my PCB and then, listen the sound of OPA627. Oh! it's so long time for me to listen it... :D

After I finish this project, I will try to design NE5532 for my GC because it's so cheap in my country but I have no idea for its sound. Maybe Carlosfm well know in NE5532 sound. Right? :D

Have anyone tried OPA228? Please tell me its sound. Thank you.

However, ADI op amp is so expensive for me. :bawling: But I'm still want AD797 for my future project too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.