LM1875 amp not working

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I tried to build an LM1875 amp based on the schematic on the datasheet but it didn't work.

When I connected an 8ohm speaker to the output and my dvd player to the input , i could hear faintly the sound coming out, but it definitely is not 20W. Also, the chip and the heatsink became very hot after less than a minute. The heatsink was 5 inches long and 2 inches deep with about 15 fins.

I used a 25-0-25 torroidal transformer to power it up. The PS output was about +/-33v. According to the datasheet, the chip could handle this power.

Please see the attached pcb layout that I used and let me know of my mistakes. I'm totally new so all help will be very very much appreciated.

Attachments

• mylm1875pcb.jpg
    mylm1875pcb.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 291
Hi, where's the attachment?

In my pdf there are 2 samples of PCB layouts, one for split power supply, one for single supply, but the sample circuit is for single power supply. Did you build the single supply version? Did you make your own pcb layout?

It says 60V maximum supply voltage, which is +/- 30V in split power supply. If you're not extra careful it is easy to break your amp that way.

Jay, did I make a mistake attaching the picture? When I view the thread, it's there.

I made the layout using protel's autorouting utility (bec i'm a total newbie :) ) based on the 2nd schematic example on the datasheet. Didn't use the layout on the pdf because the components were different from the schematic. I realize now it's a bad idea. :bawling:

I did use the split supply version. Didn't think that the +/-33V PS would actually provide about 66V. :eek: Thanks for clarifying.

One question: if I use the single supply version, and just the positive rail of the power supply (33v), would that work?

Veteran, thanks for the download link but protel dxp is unable to open the ddb file. what app would you suggest?

Jojo, mabuhay, kabayan...

Thanks so much for the replies guys. I really appreciate your help.

I just built the single supply version based on the PDF layout and and on your suggestion and it works. At last, my first gainclone :D :clown:

Wow, that's decent volume for a tiny chip!!!

Also, as an update, I rewired the first amp (the one that got an overvoltage), using a 15v-0-15v transformer, and it worked.

You guys, rule, thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.