Finished GC : Sweet & sour experience!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody, I just finished my GC base on Brian's Boards and Peter's chassis, but like the subject says it was a sweet and sour experience. Sweet, because the layout boards are wonderfull and the chassis is superb!!(this 2 guys are great) and sour because when I connect the amp to power, loud sound was coming from it. I took a reading of a dc offset and it was 34 dcv same reading after rectifier. I have a doubt and it is in my rca wiring with the grayhill switch, If I mess there could it be the cause of my problem. Please help me, I'm just a newbie.

Check all your solder joints very carefully.
Make sure that you have the capacitors in the right way round.

It looks as though one of the voltage rails is broken somewhere between the output of the PSU section and the input pin of the chip.

Do not connect a speaker until the DC offset is under 100mV.

porfi4ever said:
Yes, I'm using Brian's boards but got confused,then I connected the resistor to wrong pin but solved that problem, now I'm getting 48.6 mv for right channel and 52.2 mv for left ch. Are these readings fine?

But after fixing a problem with a channel I'm getting 13.5 and 10 mv , are they ok? Amp is playing wonderfully!! It is dead quiet. No pic right now, having problem with browser.

porfi4ever said:

Thanks Nuuk for your response, but let me tell you my GC has volume pot, it does not matter? How I"m going to control the amp : with pre-amp volume or amp volume. I hope this set-up does not explote my GC. Thanks again Nuuk.

If you find that the preamp works better with your GC that just an amp volume, you might permanently disconnect the pot in the amp, making it the power amp only (and not integrated).

You might also experiment which pot works better: when you have the volume set at max position, the effect of the pot is reduced. Try to use only preamp volume first and then try the amps volume only. Compare which sounds better.

Peter Daniel said:

If you find that the preamp works better with your GC that just an amp volume, you might permanently disconnect the pot in the amp, making it the power amp only (and not integrated).

You might also experiment which pot works better: when you have the volume set at max position, the effect of the pot is reduced. Try to use only preamp volume first and then try the amps volume only. Compare which sounds better.

Thanks Peter, I'm going to do that. The GC by itself works fantantic I just want to use my pre to benefit from my subwofer,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.