another failed gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok, i'm getting close to giving up on this stuff in general...

i made a demo amp about 9 months ago, lm1875. it worked ok, but had issues with noise.

upon returning home from school the issue became major and the amp was unuseable!

later i made a tiny pcb for a 4780. it worked, just not at the same time i used the 1875 amp...

so now i've made a new 4780 amp. there's a bizzare wizzing sound in the tweeters and a quiet hum in the midwoofers. its unlistenable due to the wizzing sound.

and i'm just thinking wtf. i hope its not RF, becuase it should have 0 RF issues. i used a seperate ground plane for the signal processor and the amp. i bypassed everything just as stated in the datasheets. i added the RC network to remove RF. i added a zobel network to reduce RF. and still it sounds terrible!

so unless anyone has any quick suggestions, i guess i'm gonna scrap that amp. i guess the input buffer was too complex. i've found that things don't ever work.

no, the program i made is in dos. i'd agree its ossilations, but for another month i have no oscope. after 20 minutes of light music (midwoofers only...) the heatsink is too hot to touch. the heatsink is 11" x 3" x 2" with about 20 1/4" fins and there is an aluminum clamp holding the ICs to the heatsink.

it just makes me mad becuase i followed all the guidelines and suggestions and it works worse then some amp i threw together 9 months ago just to see if it would work -- no DC or RF protection.

its annoying because after all the parts i've bought, nothing works and i could have bought a real amp...

like i said, the thing is made for RF rejection!

i have 2 lowpass filters (not in feedback loop)
the first cut out things above 0.5Mhz and the seconds 0.1Mhz. both are basic RC networks. further, there is the zobel (RC) network on the output, and all ICs are bypassed using 10uF tantalum + 100nF ceramic for the lm387n signal processing opamps, and using 1000uF + 10uF + 100nF for the lm4780's. the 100nf is about 1-2mm away from the leads of the IC.

at this point i can't add anymore components.

isolating it from the heatsink did not help at all.

i've got the chips isolated manually -- there isn't a 4780tf that i'm aware of. this did nothing at all except put an air gap in the center of the chip (the isolation was done with stuff for to220 cases and had a hole in the center). since it was just testing, i figured it would be fine. i'm about to disconnect the signal processor from the amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.