8 Channel Amplifier for Linkwitz Orion Kit - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th July 2004, 04:19 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Variac

Using 2 amps (one for each bass driver) will give you more power for the bass, and the amps will be happy with the 8 ohm load. This is a nice way to in effect get twice the power for your woofers, that need it more than the midrange or tweeters.
I didn't know you could separately amp the woofers, always thought that would cause phasing or timing problems. BTW.... here's a pick of my WtmW mains (nearly completed construction).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phil's new wtmw 070604-2.jpg (54.6 KB, 191 views)
Old 9th July 2004, 04:27 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fenris

My active XOs are based on Rod Elliot's schematics found here:
http://sound.westhost.com/project09.htm
but done in an extremely minimalist manner. No input buffers, no output buffers. Each lowpass section directly drives two GCs. I'm working off of memory here, but I think I used resistor values of 732 and 1474 ohms and capacitor values of .082 and .15 uF (it's what I had in my parts bin) for a crossover point of approximately 2000 Hz. Rod has a program you can download to easily calculate values. I used a piece of proto board approximately 4" x 6" with an "IC" pattern. I used OPA2132 dual op-amps, each functioning as a complete filter.
Your way ahead of me on the crossover. I've only built passive networks so far, this be my first active crossovers. My 3ways will cross at 700 and 3000. I downloaded TI's Filterpro seems helpful.
Old 9th July 2004, 08:13 PM   #13
Fenris is offline Fenris  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrlots2do

I didn't know you could separately amp the woofers, always thought that would cause phasing or timing problems. BTW.... here's a pick of my WtmW mains (nearly completed construction).
If the amps are the same after the XO, then there shouldn't be a problem. The same signal should be amplifed an equal amount and fed to similar speakers. Both amps should drive each of their speakers the same, given margins of error for their components(usually 1%). The drivers will probably be the biggest variable in the chain - they can have the most variation between them, sometimes up to 20% depending on numerous production factors. Just keep the woofers relatively close together (less than 1/4 of minimum wavelength, usually not a problem for woofers) and you shouldn't have a problem.

Quote:
Originally posted by mrlots2do

Your way ahead of me on the crossover. I've only built passive networks so far, this be my first active crossovers. My 3ways will cross at 700 and 3000. I downloaded TI's Filterpro seems helpful.
Simplest route would be to buy four of the Marchand X1 kits and specify to them your crossover frequencies. Alternately you could buy two of Rod's Project 09 boards - they can be easily combined to produce a 3 way. Rod does good work and they come with very good documentation, but you'll have to source the parts yourself which may end up being more expensive than Marchand. I did it on my own since I didn't need some of the features of these, space was a factor, I've got a lot of experience doing this kind of thing, and it was alot cheaper since I could dig into my parts bin (about $4-5 per channel not counting the ICs).

As for the GC kits - I would probably go with Brian's. Rod's PCBs are exactly per the National design sheet, and the Marchand appears to be the same. Brian's are more in the spirit of the Gainclone - minimalist but tweaked for optimum performance. I used point to point wiring because it's fast, compact, PCBs weren't available when I buillt them, and because I'm cheap.

Hide this!Advertise here!