32v transformer suitable for gainclone? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2004, 04:15 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 32v transformer suitable for gainclone?

I've got an E core transformer from an old amplifier just sitting around (its in good condition) and was thinking I could use it to build a Gainclone. The amplifier was rated for 230watts power input so I figure that the transformer is large enough to power a gainclone. The only problem I see is that its secondaries voltage is around 30vac. After rectification and filtering, thats around 42 volts + and -42. Is that too high for the IC? If so, what (preferably easy ) methods are there to get the voltage back down to an acceptable level? I plan on driving 2 8ohm compression drivers with the amplifier, so it will rarely be pushed to max output levels.

Thanks!
Old 2nd July 2004, 04:20 AM   #2
aHobbit is offline aHobbit  Philippines
diyAudio Member

42Vdc is max allowed on LM3886, so this is fine. Using a regulator like the LM338 can bring down your usable Vdc to the 3886 to about 37Vdc.
Old 2nd July 2004, 04:57 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well in another thread it says 42v is too high. So, what ways can I get the voltage down, if any?
Old 2nd July 2004, 05:02 AM   #4
Will is offline Will  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

42 volts is fine. Im using that voltage and liked the sound of my VBIGC. Just make sure your heat sinks are sufficient.

regards,
will.
Old 2nd July 2004, 05:46 AM   #5
MWP is offline MWP  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Will
42 volts is fine. Im using that voltage and liked the sound of my VBIGC. Just make sure your heat sinks are sufficient.
2nd'ed.

I also run 42V... no problems in the 4 years since i built it.
Old 2nd July 2004, 08:01 AM   #6
aHobbit is offline aHobbit  Philippines
diyAudio Member

42Vdc will be quite too high if you intend to load it with a speaker lower than 8 ohms. However, as I said, if you want to lower it, for whatever reason it may serve you, you may use an LM338 regulator, and it can give you 32Vdc highest.
Old 2nd July 2004, 08:48 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

my txs' secondaries are also 30VAC - i posted a psu schem in this thread: regulated psu for gc yesterday which -I think- is okay...

hth
Old 2nd July 2004, 08:57 AM   #8
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Re: 32v transformer suitable for gainclone?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Parker
I've got an E core transformer from an old amplifier just sitting around (its in good condition) and was thinking I could use it to build a Gainclone. The amplifier was rated for 230watts power input so I figure that the transformer is large enough to power a gainclone. The only problem I see is that its secondaries voltage is around 30vac. After rectification and filtering, thats around 42 volts + and -42. Is that too high for the IC? If so, what (preferably easy ) methods are there to get the voltage back down to an acceptable level? I plan on driving 2 8ohm compression drivers with the amplifier, so it will rarely be pushed to max output levels.

Thanks!
I think it will do but as you know it's just about on the edge.

Note also if you have no input signal the max voltage is 94 volts (2 x 47) so if you play a little the voltage probably will drop a bit.

If you had a toroid transformer the max voltage would have been 2 x 30 VAC. The normal max voltage is 2 x 28 VAC.

Hide this!Advertise here!